+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age should breastfed babies sleep through?

DP still breastfeeds DD at 14 months old, yet never had one night sleep right through. A few 5-6 hour breaks but generally only 3-4 at best.
    She wishes to keep feeding till at least 2 unless self weaning happens first.
    Is this normal to be woken so many times during the night for a feed or is it more a comfort thing?
    Wasn't too bad on holiday but back working now and getting very tired again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Jasper fed like that through the night. Cosleeping, so it was easy, I just slept through the feeds usually. He fed like that until 3 years when I weaned him.

I did an amended version of this - http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html to get jasper to stop feeding at night & to get him to sleep in his own bed.

It worked pretty well, only really took 2 weeks to get him so he was mostly sleeping through, or just needing a gentle resettle, but then his back molars came through and we had several nights of hysterical crying at night that totally put everything on it's head, though I introduced a bottle because I couldn't handle breast feeding anymore (I was 6 months pregnant) and he's just naturally given up the middle of the night bottle.

But you (or more your DP) should only do what your happy to do. If she's happy to feed through the night then leave her be. I found jasper feeding at night way less stressful or exhausting than my DFs pressure & suggestions to night wean him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    my son was similar. By 18 or 20 months, he was probably only waking once for a feed. At 2, I night weaned him. Basically, when he went looking for boob at midnight, my partner carried him around, patted him etc. After a couple of nights, he dropped the last night feed and slept through.

You can night wean without completely weaning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh and yes it's normal - many many toddlers feed like this.

And I do think it's mainly for comfort at night, though there definitely is nutritional benefit, but in saying that I didn't feel there was anything wrong with giving my toddler the comfort he wanted. I think unlimited comfort has contributed to my beautiful little boy's kind, calm & confident personality.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (18-01-2012),MyLittleLilacTree  (20-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    & I agree - at first I night weaned without fully weaning him. I'd have probably kept feeding but I was having intense breast feeding aversion (physically horrible feeling while breast feeding) because of being pregnant. So I cut it back to like 60 second feeds morning & night while I grit my teeth and curled my toes, but I didn't last long doing that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD slept from 7pm to 7am with a dreamfeed at 10:30pm from 6weeks.

I dropped the dreamfeed after solids were introduced at 6 months.

I stopped breastfeeding at 16 months.

Sent from my iPod touch using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my opinion I would think that it is comfort but also simply what your child is used to, it is the bedtime routine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is no 'should' when it comes to sleeping through.

My first didn't until he was a bit over two. He had weaned at 13 months. My second slept through when I night weaned him at... Yep, a bit over 2 lol

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (18-01-2012),Lillynix  (18-01-2012),naebie  (18-01-2012),smallpotatoes  (18-01-2012),trishalishous  (18-01-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Remove the word "should", it's not helpful. "can" is a better choice.

My kids slept through around 14/15 months (7pm-5am ish).

edit- snap Laksa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It does get better, they do eventually grow out of waking up through outt the night. DD2 is 17 months and still breast fed at night, no real sleep routine. Sometimes she wakes at 3-4-5am for a comfort/feed, and other times she doesn't. I'm an attachment parent so I let her lead. Have you tried an aleternative sleeping arrangement? Maybe seperate rooms during the week so you can sleep, in the same bed on weekends? Good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePeasPlease For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (18-01-2012)