+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm amazed at the suicide by train stats! I wouldn't have thought it was as high as it is (in Perth) because I assumed its something the media would be all over.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I'm amazed at the suicide by train stats! I wouldn't have thought it was as high as it is (in Perth) because I assumed its something the media would be all over.
    Yeh I was amazed reading your posts in relation to this the other week - I thought I wonder how often this really happens?

IT used to be the same as the West Gate bridge in Mel - back in the 80/90s there were at least 3 jumps/attempts/deaths per week (family friend was a cop). Not sure if its changed since the fences but it has been going on for soooooooooooooo long. If they had of acted earlier maybe little Darcy wouldn't have died.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Apparently the media are not allowed ( or don't get told not sure?) to publish info about suicides, a friends brother jumped into an oncoming train a few years back at our local station and it was never reported and I've sold 2 houses in the last ten years of people who's sons had committed suicide in the home and one of the parents told me it was police policy not to inform the media

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Apparently the media are not allowed ( or don't get told not sure?) to publish info about suicides, a friends brother jumped into an oncoming train a few years back at our local station and it was never reported and I've sold 2 houses in the last ten years of people who's sons had committed suicide in the home and one of the parents told me it was police policy not to inform the media
    Private suicides won't be reported no, but when suicides become public sometimes they will be reported about, even if the familys names etc are withheld. They don't report jumping in front of a train in the media as previously it has lead to copy cat behaviour, ie it gives people the idea/motivation to do the same, or that their suicide will get publicity if they do it the same way, IYKWIM? So the govt company and the media have an agreement that suicides via train wont be reported about on the media. I can only speak for this method, as I don't know what happens when people jump off a cliff etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Moon landing - total hoax.
    Australian Defence Force and DVA - don't even know where to begin with those!!!!! :-/
    We are all just a number and get fed what "they" want us to know - otherwise most would never sleep at night again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app - sorry for typos :-/

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know a lot regarding criminal offenders from my job prior to becoming a SAHM and it's info that i'm glad to know. I can't elaborate though. Helpful, huh?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Private suicides won't be reported no, but when suicides become public sometimes they will be reported about, even if the familys names etc are withheld. They don't report jumping in front of a train in the media as previously it has lead to copy cat behaviour, ie it gives people the idea/motivation to do the same, or that their suicide will get publicity if they do it the same way, IYKWIM? So the govt company and the media have an agreement that suicides via train wont be reported about on the media. I can only speak for this method, as I don't know what happens when people jump off a cliff etc.
    Yep, along these lines. A family friend of ours had to do a relieving term in the police for cleaning up/securing murder/suicide scenes. She was busy all the time and I remember thinking... wtf... none of this is in the news?? Apparently when it is really horrible, crimes against children etc the police keep it as hush as possible because of the copy cat crimes or suicides that happen. Murder-suicide of families is a common one. It is just never reported.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Elijah's mum, do they have to tell you about the suicide or did it just come up in conversation? Also once you now do you have to tell prospective buyers or tenants? I know there are people who wouldn't wan to live in the home after those circumstances and it would be horrible to find out after your purchase from gossiping neighbors etc.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CheekyChicken For This Useful Post:

babybumblebee  (09-06-2012),lovemybabies!  (20-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    subscribing, this is definitely going to be (and already is) an interesting thread!

I am in what i thought was a bad habit of not watching the news, now that i've read what people have to say in here i don't feel so bad about it! i was always a bit scepticle (sp?) of any story i saw anyway, but this concretes it in my mind.

i don't really have much to contribute regarding australia and misconceptions/truths etc, but i will be following this to see what other interesting information BH users have for us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine spoke to a train driver once who told her that statistically speaking, a train driver is guaranteed to hit someone in their first three years on the job. Scary!

I know what happens to a letter you write to the PM/a Minister/your local MP (nothing). I know that every line of cocaine snorted has led to the deaths of 5 Mexican people. I know that most times when someone complains about the government in the media, the government has no way to respond so you often don't get to hear the whole story. I know that anytime you get an email warning you about the latest scam/serial killer/dodgy drug, you should go to snopes.com first. I know that the government is usually not as efficient or coordinated as people assume, which means most conspiracy theories are bollocks - we aren't organised enough to pull something like that off!

Anyone who would like more details on the news/current affairs should watch Media Watch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dancermum For This Useful Post:

MinkyJ  (15-06-2012)