+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been active in the past in environmental activism and seen the media send fake protesters to make a peaceful protest look violent. You get to know people in the activism community and a couple were known as paid troublemakers. A long time ago though. I dont know how much protesting achieves any more, although I think peoples hearts and motivations are definately in the right place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought one thing that is awful but true.

In melb there is a primary school where young boys aged 5 to 7 were forced to give oral sex to the older boys 10 to 12's. It was a common theme there and some little boys had rashes on their mouths from doing it so much. It's a suburb known for being 'rough'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [this is for the Melburnians out there who are following the recent Melb Water 'scandal']

I know how water is priced and why Melbourne Water is not ripping anyone off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    [this is for the Melburnians out there who are following the recent Melb Water 'scandal']

I know how water is priced and why Melbourne Water is not ripping anyone off
    Really. Do tell!! Considering they have admitted fault in charging for the De Sal plant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kezanazz View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't ignoring.
    As said later possum poo and all that plus all the organic matter from the roof....
    Water tanks can be really dangerous and a lot of those things can't be filtered out properly...
    Just a quick google and I found this. http://http://www.health.gov.au/inte...h-raintank.pdf

Which I think covers it all quite well
    Meh, I've basically only ever drank tank water and I'm healthy. Same with pretty much everyone I know. There's no way in hell you would get me to drink the water in town.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    Really. Do tell!! Considering they have admitted fault in charging for the De Sal plant.
    Nah, they haven't admitted 'fault'.

Essentially, every five years all of the water businesses (this happens in electricity and gas too) submit a plan to an independent regulator which says 'this is how much we think it will cost to operate our assets/network, and this is how much water we think we will sell.'

The regulator (in this case the Essential Services Commission) reviews these plans and determines what they consider to be a fair 'revenue requirement'. They then divide this number by what they think is a fair estimate of the amount of water they will sell. Cost divided by water sold = the price we pay (this is very simplistic - in reality it's a fair bit more complicated). Melb Water don't set the prices - the regulator does.

The last time prices were set was 2009, so Melb Water had to provide an estimate of what the desal plant would cost in 2011 and 2012 (it happened to be a four year pricing period from 2009-2012). The desal plant was supposed to start in 2011 so they forecast an expense in 2011 and 2012 and this flowed through to prices. Then the delays started and the plant now won't start until 2013.

So they got the forecast wrong, but it wasn't their fault. But, anyway this happens ALL THE TIME. No forecast is 100% accurate, let alone one that was made 3 years ago. And it can go both ways of course. What if they overspent against their forecast - would you be demanding that you pay MORE because Melb Water didn't charge enough to recover their costs?

In fact this has kind of happened. Even though MW have collected all this additional revenue (which they're using to offset future prices, even though they're not legally obliged to do so), they actually sold less water than the regulator said they would. So on that particular issue they're out of pocket to the tune of ~$50M. Do you hear anyone saying they should take this into account when calculating these 'refunds'? No.

Sorry, this is a long post, but what we're seeing here is a gigantic media beat up that's really (a) nothing new and (b) completely legal.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    For your reading pleasure . One of my friends totally believed it. Who the hell commits a more serious crime to hide a less serious one?

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/drugs/deadbaby.asp
    This is true. My sister works security at Heathrow. The air hostesses were really traumatized. It wasn't in the US, it was from north Africa to London, and in those places, it's easy to find what they needed without any laws being broken as such.
    Last edited by SPC; 15-06-2012 at 21:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancermum View Post

I know what happens to a letter you write to the PM/a Minister/your local MP (nothing). I know that every line of cocaine snorted has led to the deaths of 5 Mexican people. I know that most times when someone complains about the government in the media, the government has no way to respond so you often don't get to hear the whole story. I know that anytime you get an email warning you about the latest scam/serial killer/dodgy drug, you should go to snopes.com first. I know that the government is usually not as efficient or coordinated as people assume, which means most conspiracy theories are bollocks - we aren't organised enough to pull something like that off!

So so true about the government. At times (perhaps often)inefficient yes so definitely NOT coordinated enough to lie, manipulate, cover up or act like big brother. Also true about not being able to tell their side! So many people who complain about the service of govt departments on TV are in the wrong but for privacy that can't be shared. The govt isn't responsible if you made a bad decision, married a d*ck, didn't follow the law or something similar!

And many public servants work really hard! No one ever believes me on that one!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MinkyJ For This Useful Post:

Jakois  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    I know some of the stuff that happens in the watchouse. How sometimes the women can be just as gross as the men. I wish I could say it here but it's so gross hey LOL Some of the stuff he tells me is just
    Oh go on??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know exactly what happens to your tap water to make it safe for consumption and YES, I do drink it