+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What do YOU know about the REAL world?

Very curious if I can become more educated via lovely bubhub members.

I (out of habbit I guess) rely mainly on mass media to get my information about what's happening in the world.

Quite often I hear the other side of the story and realize how much the media can 'twist' things.

So do you know anything that many other people may not know?

Eg I hear surf lifesaving relies mainly on donations from the public and volunteers as the government subsidies they receive doesn't cover barely any of their cost.

Before we launch into how wrong this is in Australia, please remember this thread aim is to list anything you know about the real world that other main****** people (like myself) may not know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do, I work for a government department.

Nothing I can tell due to confidentiality but I have seen how the media spin some wild stories and it can get to the point where they just plain make stuff up.

I also had to deal with media on quite a regular basis and some of those reporters are ruthless!!

What a great thread! I can't wait to see what other say! *gets popcorn, just in case*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

laurea  (17-01-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't believe much of the news or what the government tells us. I have mate who believe EVERYTHING is a conspiracy and are constantly sending me things.

I would imagine the truth is probably somewhere in the middle or towards the conspirasists.

I try not to over think it all tbh - I just try to be a good person for myself and people in my life and make ethical decisions. I don't believe we are told much about anything, its safer to keep us all in the dark.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

laurea  (17-01-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    the biggest thing at the moment though, is the complete lack of information/reporting on the nuclear problems in Japan. How can it possibly be that after all that, suddenly NOTHING. Its BS.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (10-06-2012),laurea  (17-01-2012),Maybelline  (26-03-2012),naebie  (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean buttoneska. It was either all a big lie, or now a big cover up. Either way the majority of the public will never know.

I watched a documentery on the slums in India the other night. Basically big developers are going to (If not already) demolish the slums and build high rises.

They have proven the people in the slums are happier then the surrounding city and retain more of a community. They take much better care of their property but they're all so 'poor' they can't fight the development.

Over 4 generations of people (mainly potters) and all they want is better drainage & sewer system. Yet because the city sees them as an eye sore, they have to be relocated and they're livelihood will be non existent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shall we discuss the 'moon landing' then????

The media in Australia isn't half as bad IMO as it is in the US but like pp have said I have also seen how the media will put a certain spin on things and also completely make things up!

Even google is getting in on this. Wikipedia arghhh the disgrace!

The internet has been able to open up many peoples eyes with offering different information from worldwide resources but I think it's really hard to be truly informed about the 'real world' it's always someones view of the 'real world'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kel87 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    kel87, speaking of the internet, I know people who self-diagnose these days instead of seeing a doctor, and those who believe everything they read on the internet is true

In regards to the 'real' world, I know that perception is reality

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Be The Change For This Useful Post:

austmum  (15-06-2012),Maybelline  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be in charge:
    I also agree perception is reality. If only the vast majority of people with a public voice had a better perception. How do you decipher the rubbish from the truth?

And yes. Let's discuss the moon landing do you (personally) think it was a hoax?

I've seen the 'evidence', but know enough about science to know it's not impossible. But that doesn't mean it wasn't all bull

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what happens to people when they die (at funeral homes etc) and I know what happens to prisoners when they go to jail - all from dh's work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't believe much of the news or what the government tells us.