+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiee View Post
    If only other people thought it was mandatory like the medical board of wa, the minister for health in wa or the CEO for health in wa.

Apparently things happen like this all the time and the doctor is not at fault as he did his best to count to 5. Maybe they should teach counting at uni???

amiee

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    My OB have me a stretch and sweep without my consent. I didn't even realise he had actually done that to me until I came on BH 4 months after my birth. I thought it was a routine "just having a look" I wish more then anything I had BH during my pregnancy because I wouldn't have gone through a lot of horrible things pre, during an post birth.
    Me too. I didn't have bubhub, or friends with babies, so I didnt know what to ask, what was reasonable, what I consent to, what I could say no to (particularly with regards to being induced)

I think had I had bubhub I could have avoided *some* of the things that happened. Though some things happened so quickly I don't think I could have stopped it even of I was prepared.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 17-01-2012 at 20:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry to hear some of your stories ladies = (

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Apart from the awful trauma of DS's birth and the near tragic outcome, I also think that there is the potential for an assault to occur during the constant check ups.

There was one time I was seeing a Dr at the hospy (I had shared care) and he was measuring the fundal height when the Dr insisted I needed an internal examination and without anyfurther to do he shoved his fingers in. I became quite upset and realised his breathing altered, and he jumped backwards when there was a knock on the door and a midwife asked if she could come in.

When the MW came in she saw I was angry and upset and looked askance at the Dr who'd managed to be on the other side of the room. I walked out and refused to see that Dr again.

I realised much much later why I was angry and upset but felt too humiliated to do anything about it.

I think many pregnant women are vunerable and the potential for assault and birth rape is huge and very very real.

I am glad you've brought up this topic Tam, as knowing about thing like this goes a long way to empowering women
    This made me sick! What a sick f**k he was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for this article-it has helped me feel much better about DS2's birth. Strange, I had thought I had put it behind me but it turns out it still upsets me?
    I had a perfectly normal (albeit fast) delivery. Bubs and I were fine but my placenta was taking too long to come away. A doctor I've never seen before, hadn't been present throughout the actual birth, waltzed in, told me she'd 'help me'...then proceeded to shove her arm inside me and tried to reef the stupid thing out. Almost passed out from pain, DP almost got violent with her, I ended up in emergency surgery, lost 2 liters of blood and almost my life because they stuffed around for too long booking an OP and I was bleeding everywhere...what makes me the most furious is that I'm so desperate for more babies but I'm just too scared to be treated so badly again...how dare they take that from me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is so utterly devastating to read. Moreso because it is rampant in the world of birth- these doctors and midwives don't even know what they are doing most of the time, the action is mechanical. As far as they are concerned it's a neccessary procedure. It's bullsh!t.

I was a doula for 4 years or so- I have seen so much of this. Its heartbreaking. And tomorrow night, I find out if my dream to become a midwife will indeed become a reality, when Uni offers come out. If I am successful I can not wait to get stuck into the world of birth and start to change stuff. I understand I am going to see MUCH worse than I ever saw as a doula but I will be in a better position to question, challenge and change things that are simply just not right.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (18-01-2012),Gandalf  (17-01-2012),MilkiCuddles  (18-01-2012),MuminMind  (17-01-2012),SugarSkull  (18-01-2012),WorkingClassMum  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Good luck roopee!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Roopee  (17-01-2012),starla  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why did my post get removed? I didn't say anything bad at all? Just gave sympathy.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Why did my post get removed? I didn't say anything bad at all? Just gave sympathy.
    I can still see your post it wasn't removed...BH is glitchy sometimes

Thank you for your emapthy xx

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    These stories make me so sad. I'm glad there are places where people can open up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think education is the key. Most women, especially in country areas, are given birthing information from the people perpertrating the assult, doctors, midwifes and the visiting nurses.

I had my pre natal lessons at the hospital by one of the midwifes that delivered my baby. We were never once told about our rights or our choices beyond epi vs gas or walking aroud vs balls etc.

Like primary and secondary education there should be a national carriculum or standard set of information that must be delivered to all expecting parents either with the orange books or at pre natal classes.

The fact that the article call it sexual abuse realy annoys me, so much i am shaking.

It is not, it is completely different, as venezuala put it Obsetric assult is a much better way to put it. Sexual abuse is for the perpertrators gratification and has more grooming and guilt involved, more of a head f*** is involved. Obsetric assult is a complete and total disregard for the patient.

I also think that birth rape is a very silly name and should not be used.

Having experienced both serious sexual abuse and obsetric assult i can tell you there is a definate difference. T

here are similar feeliongs and reprocussions like guilt or helplesness but lumping them both together diminishes the importance of both situations.

Sorry if i annoyed any one with my opinion, but they are just that, opinions and i never said i was right.
    Last edited by lonni; 17-01-2012 at 21:25.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lonni For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (18-01-2012),Hannahly  (17-01-2012)