+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Plants suitable for hanging pots?

I'd love some advice on some plants that are suited for 14 inch hanging pots? We have a courtyard that is entirely concreted & I'm slowly working on making it look pretty! Its a very sunny area with no shade.

I was thinking of getting some geraniums as I know they're quite hardy. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The pots aren't very deep so I guess I want to get plants that will survive in shallow pots

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definity ivy geraniums are tough. There are ornamental ivys you can get, lobelia can be nice but needs a fair bit of water, there are small leaved groundcover grevilleas that can be really nice in pots, very hardy also. Best bet is to get advice from your garden centre, and they will (hopefully) stock plants which will grow well in your area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the main problems people experience with hanging pots is that they can get quite dry - so it's best to select plants that cope well with dryness. Most succulents do well - there's a whole range of small leafed sedums that will cascade down from a hanging basket - lime greens, purples and silver colours.

Dichondra (small silver leaves) also looks good, but will take a little more water than most succulents.

Also ask about Tillandsia - otherwise known as 'Air Plants', as they are epiphytes (naturally grow with the usual soil growing medium).

I've seen small leafed ivy look quite impressive in hanging pots.

If you are able to keep them moist, strawberries are great, because you get to eat the fruit, too.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Strawberries