+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Shingles and babies

I've just found out that my MIL has shingles. I saw her scratching the oozing blisters over the weekend thinking it was just a spider bite. She never washed her hands and even changed DS's diapers and touched him. I've been advised to take him to the GP if I see any spots or notice a fever. Should I be completely staying away from my MIL until its all healed? Has anybody else had any experience with shingles? I'm also having surgery in 3 weeks time and the I know that you can catch chicken pox even if you've already had them.
    I'm asking because her GP said they're not contagious & I've spoken to two GP's who said that it IS contagious.

????????

Thanks
    Reviews
    And DS is only 7 months old so he hasn't had his vaccine yet.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh no! I have no idea, but I thought I would bump this for you!

Hope you get some answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you MiM. You know how difficult my in laws can be at time because well... They're always right of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You cant get shingles without first having had chicken pox so if bub were to get anything it would be chickenpox. when you have chickenpox the virus remains dormant in your body, shingles is a result of this virus becoming active again.
    The chances of bub catching the virus are very low, but if he had direct contact with her blisters then he does have a chance of getting chickenpox. All you can do is just keep an eye out for a fever and cold like symptoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shingles are highly contagious to a person that has never had the chickenpox virus. It is impossible to catch shingles off someone, only chicken pox. When I was a teenager I broke out in shingles on my chest. Before knowing it was shingles, I gave my 6 month old nephew cuddles and he caught chicken pox. Thankfully it was only a minor case. It can take the virus up to 3 weeks to incubate before you start showing symptoms of chicken pox. And the virus is contagious until the blisters crust over and dry up. To be on the safe side, I'd keep your DS away from your MIL until they are completely healed. It's very unlikely that you will catch chickpox from her seeing as you would already have antibodies for the virus in your system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what I thought! I don't want him catching chicken pox so soon as he is still so little. I'm praying he doesn't get the chicken pox. She never washed her hands after touching the oozy blisters. That's what annoys me about them. You ask them to wash their hands and it's always "oh. But we never washed our hands when the kids were growing up" or some crap like that. Looks like we'll be staying away until it clears up. It'll break their heart but my little man comes first.