+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Moving house.. Cleaning advice

So we are moving after 9 years here, and as time draws closer, I'm thinking about the cleaning of this place. Did you wait until you had moved everything out and do a big clean, or were there some things you did in advance?
    Did you pre clean marks off walls, before cleaning the entire wall?
    I've been weeding and cutting back plants in the garden, but am thinking it might be better to tackle those random things like pencil marks, and ceilings etc. We will be removing the carpet, landlord will put a new one in before selling, so that's one save
    Been a while since I've moved lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The way I did it - packed up things like books & nick nacks from bookcases etc leading up, then focused on one room at a time.

So I cleaned one room - dusted window sills etc & vacuumed - then shut the door. And moved onto the next room.

When I packed the kitchen cupboards I wiped each one out once it was empty. Then when the entire kitchen was packed I did oven, outside of cupboards and proper clean. Kind of did it as I went.

Then once we moved all our stuff out i did very noticeable marks on the walls, then a general clean of the wall and a check for any marks I missed first time, and one last wipe over benches, vacuum & a mop.

If you don't use gumption - give it a shot. It's the best for marks & dirt!!!

Hope that all makes sense - good luck

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We didn't have much to clean as most of the house was generally maintained and cleaned. However we usually just emptied the house then ran a mop over the floors and a sponge over and surfaces.
    With our last house though we moved out before it was sold, so because it was vacant for some time we got MIL (a professional cleaner) to give it a bit of a clean for us as she lived 5 mins away and we lived 1 and a bit hours away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We packed up everything we didn't use and put it in a spare room. Wee kept the house clean but didn't do a huge clean until the house was empty.

I brought a new sponge mop to clean the walls. It took no time at all!

Things like cupboards and draws I cleaned as I emptied.

So once we moved out I only had to mop the floors and walls clean the bathroom and kitchen (which is always clean anyway so just a once over)

The gardens we did well on advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find it easier to clean once we have moved. We tend to get a house availble the week before our lease ends, So I usually start packing leading up to the end of our lease, then once we have signed our new lease, we move everything over which usually only takes one day and do a huge trip to the tip and get rid of anything unwanted - gosh stuff accumulates in this household! The gardens and lawn all get taken care of prior to moving though. Then I usually just print a bond cleaning list off the internet and work from room to room, it doesn't usually take long as the house is kept pretty neat and tidy and there are usually a few helping hands, I think the worst would be the walls, I hate cleaning walls and the kids seem to wipe there dirty handprints all over them, aswell as drawing and general wear. Once the house is clean I give it a good vacuum and then get a carpet cleaner in to clean carperts.

I tried to clean as I packed, but it just didn't work for us, the kids would get in the way, or dirty something that had just been cleaned, so at least the way I do it I would try have someone watch the kids at the new house or do the cleaning while they are at daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Cheers for that.
    This place has bad walls, they chip really easy, bump it, there's a chip, so i started to fill in the chips, and think I'll give it a paint as well (land lord always let's us paint so long as it's not crazy colours) our bond isn't much, but I'd rather leave it looking good. Think I'll buy a sponge mop, I only have a steam mop, but it's not do easy lifting it up above my head lol. Been a while since a repaint, so some old flaky paint in random areas.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We moved out a week before our lease expired. We didn't start cleaning until everything was out. We started with the aircons (split systems), roof, walls, then carpets upstairs, then the same downstairs. If you check in the back of your lease package, there might be a list of things they expect you to clean when you vacate. The gardens got done the week before, and I did the oven before we moved out too.
    Good luck for your move

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing. Hopefully we will move somewhere else this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are moving this week/ next week. We also have to do the clean. I am going to try and find someone to help as I have a hand injury from work. The people who do the cleans however don't want to help a lot because the landlord did not fix the flood damage, so they don't want to be apart of it to give it a guarantee that we would get our bond back .

If I was doing the cleaning I would clean as I go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always found it much easier to just clean once everything has been moved. Cleaning as you go i find to be a PITA (especially with kids) as it gets dirty again and you end up re-cleaning once everything has been moved anyway.
    The most time consuming part is walls (for me) but take it one room at a time and it's not too bad.