+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wouldn't be able to get in to the school?

Of course you can! They won't discriminate!

You can still teach him that stuff at home, really it is none of their business :-)

They like no tv too but I let my DD watch it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FionaV View Post
    I haven't had much experience with Steiner schools (they don't reach this far out into the bush), however, my cousin sent her son to one on the coast until Year 4. At that point, he was asking to go to a "proper school" where he could learn "real things" and was generally miserable with the Steiner way of doing things. She moved him to a main****** school for Year 5 and he spent that year catching up with his peers. Now, at 16, he is showing a strong talent for science and computers, which Steiner would never have fostered (they didn't have computers in the school, and parents were instructed not to let their children use computers at home. For a child whose father and older brother were computer engineers, this was a bad choice from the beginning, really).

So, they may be a wonderful environment, but not for every child or every family .
    Like any school, each steiner school has different expectations and different ways of doing things, ours has computers in high school and my eldest is a computer genius (takes after his father), they discourage it for the younger children but that hasn't stopped my youngest also being very computer literate. I love it for primary school and the early highschool years but it's not for everybody.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hi, a Montessori mum popping in here

DD will be in Montessori till high school but of course there are no Montessori high schools where I am now (they were starting one up in Melbourne which I just left). There is a Steiner school that goes up to year 12.

Can any of you give me any insight into high school Steiner?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default True Steiner school in Brisbane/GC?

Hello. I just came back from my trip to learn about schools in GC/Brisbane, and was disappointed to learn during my tour that Silkwood is no longer a "true Steiner" school (their words). They said they have moved away from the strict steiner philosophy. Is anyone aware of any schools in the Brisbane or GC area that do still follow a Steiner philosophy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is a Steiner school?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Bumping for Blissed Out. Can you answer my question up there please

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bricaza View Post
    Hello. I just came back from my trip to learn about schools in GC/Brisbane, and was disappointed to learn during my tour that Silkwood is no longer a "true Steiner" school (their words). They said they have moved away from the strict steiner philosophy. Is anyone aware of any schools in the Brisbane or GC area that do still follow a Steiner philosophy?
    Samford Valley?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bricaza View Post
    They've mainly moved away from the spiritual components of Steiner philosophy, which is a great move in the eyes of most of the parents I know. They still do a very child led, Steiner approach from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Hi, a Montessori mum popping in here

DD will be in Montessori till high school but of course there are no Montessori high schools where I am now (they were starting one up in Melbourne which I just left). There is a Steiner school that goes up to year 12.

Can any of you give me any insight into high school Steiner?
    Sorry, didn't notice any of these until now.

I only did Steiner for part of primary school, but I'd imagine it's very much student led learning still, with an emphasis on personal resolution to problems, questions, themes etc... as well as a strong emphasis on creative expression.

I'd pop into the school and ask, our one here has been very accommodating.