+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    LMB, our high school only goes to Y10 at this stage too. I'll assess it at the time, but am weighing up homeschool for Y11 & 12, no doubt other students will be in the same situation and they can homeschool collaboratively possibly. Steiner gives parents and students the right habits to homeschool I think. My kids also have the option of going to boarding school in NZ for high school, so there are options for them. I'm really not comfortable with the public school system here, but I'm sure my kids will have their own big opinions on it by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do children who have been to a Steiner primary school go with adapting to standard secondary schooling? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    How do children who have been to a Steiner primary school go with adapting to standard secondary schooling? Does anyone have experience with this?
    I struggled, but I had a real hotch potch education, lots of schools, lots of different approaches, but I preferred a Steiner style of learning and got this at home (dad was a teacher and educational developer).

I did well in main****** academically, but didn't get along with many teachers due to their teaching styles clashing with my learning style and my bad attitude (not Steiner related).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    My nephews have just moved to grade 11 in public school after a lifetime of Steiner education and have adjusted exceptionally. I think most kids move over quite well if it is later in school ie grade 11 or 12 and if it is their choice to do so, rather than having to make the transition for other reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are just moving to QLD and are looking into the Steiner school there. I don't think my oldest can get in this year (we are not moving until June and there is a long waitlist) but we are looking for possibly next year. I am visiting the school for a tour next month and am really excited!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Steiner First Interview

What can I expect of the enrolment interview?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was just wondering about the technology side of things. I love the sound of steiner education but I'm haven't investigated it as our 5yr old prep is very technology minded (his father is a computer programmer). I'm just wondering if that prevents you from participating in this type of schooling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He won't have any access to computers until at least age 7 and even then I'm not sure the laptops are for the primary kids. They really do not use them a lot..

My 5 year old has just started this week. She will do two n a half days this year then five days next year.

It's called kindergarten the first two years then class one class two etc..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had much experience with Steiner schools (they don't reach this far out into the bush), however, my cousin sent her son to one on the coast until Year 4. At that point, he was asking to go to a "proper school" where he could learn "real things" and was generally miserable with the Steiner way of doing things. She moved him to a main****** school for Year 5 and he spent that year catching up with his peers. Now, at 16, he is showing a strong talent for science and computers, which Steiner would never have fostered (they didn't have computers in the school, and parents were instructed not to let their children use computers at home. For a child whose father and older brother were computer engineers, this was a bad choice from the beginning, really).

So, they may be a wonderful environment, but not for every child or every family .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, this was our concern. I don't mind them not having computers at school because he has access to a lot of things at home but we get the feeling that we wouldn't be able to get into the school based on that. It's just so hard to find alternative schooling.