+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My non-verbal autistic dyspraxia 3 year old is starting to talk! Here's why

So my beautiful DD is 3 and 3 months. She is diagnosed with Autism and dyspraxia. She was almost completely non verbal and had no communication level, until she had her tonsils out.

In september 2010 she had her adenoids out and gromets in, prior to then she didnt even babble and up until end november early december last year, DD could say mum but it had no meaning, with a little babble. She learnt new words only to lose them again a week or two later (very common with asd). But again those words had no meaning and she never pronounced them correctly either.

Then came time for the tonsils to come out. After surgery the dr said that her tonsils were that large she would have been struggling to swallow, eat, talk and even hear properly. Since her operation she can now say about 15 words properly with meaning! She can see a bubble or ball in different places (pictures, on tv or irl) and she yells and points bubble or ball! She can tell you if she want a drink, chips or apple. And she is learning to say please and thankyou at the correct times (says it about 60% of time without promting and bout 90% with prompting). She also says hi or hello and bye which she initiates!!

Her therapists can not believe the difference post op either. And tomorrow we are back to the paed that diagnosed her who has not seen her since before op.

I know that these things are minor for a neuortypical child, but I am just so proud and pleased to see the changes is her I was starting to lose hope that she would be verbal by the time school starts.

And this is just the beginning for her and us

2. The Following User Says Thank You to onkybear For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (17-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As the mother of a 3 year old with autism myself , I know how much this means to you ! Such a wonderful storie filled with hope for the future . Where is she going to go from here? How exciting for you all xxx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (16-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont have a child with special needs, I just wanted to say that is really awesome! How exciting for you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to notquitesupermum For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (16-01-2012)

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My son also has dyspraxia... and has been totally non verbal. Hes nearly 2 and a half and just said his first word yesterday - bubble!!

I know how you feel and we are over the moon. It might only be one word, but it was the most amazing first word we ever heard

I hope your DD continues to pick up lots of wonderful words... theres nothing worse than not being able to communicate with your child.. and to see them struggling and frustrated. Thats totally cool and sounds like the beginning of lots of wonderful speech

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shortiii For This Useful Post:

onkybear  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thats awesome news hun! Though, didn't anyone ever test her hearing?