+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting a Second Opinion

We have been with our current FS now for just over 18 months and done 7 stim cycles with him. I went through a phase where I was very disappointed with him in terms of trying different cycles, but for the past few cycles he has been happy to try different things. But we have come to the point of being advised to go down the donor track, so I would like to get a second opinion. But in saying this I have been expecting the 'donor' talk for a while as it appears that our egg quality is quite litterally '****e'. Our current FS has also suggested that he put his feelers out to see if he can find a donor for us as soon as we confirm that we are prepared to head down this path.

The second opinion is not so much to confirm the qhole donor issue but to see if they have any suggestions for our last cycle that we will do with our eggs.

So knowing that I will probably still do our next cycle with our current FS (and give him the go ahead to source a donor for us) and we have an appt with a second FS in February and need to get a copy of our history to the new fs - do I tell the current FS we are getting a second opinion or just send a letter to his office requesting a copy of our file be sent to the new FS? Do I also need to get a copy of my history from the IVF clinic also?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi BronywnCJ,
    If you are planning on maintaining a relationship with your FS for subsequent cycles/ ED purposes then advising him you are seeking a 2nd opinion might be the best way to go (he will find out anyway when the request letter comes through).

Anyone who is offering you an opinion will want to see your cycle history and hence have a copy of your file. When I changed clinics I had no intention of returning so simply rang the receptionist and advised her and I was informed I needed to send through a signed request letter (with a copy of my driver's license) so they could forward my file to the new FS prior to my 1st appt. Might be a different process for different clinics?? You are also able to request a copy of your file/ any testing for your own records.

Just curious (as I am going the ED route myself) how your FS will source a donor for you? Do you mean put you on their clinic egg donor wait list?

All the best with your decisions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bronwyn,

I have swapped clinics. I told my FS of 18 months that I wanted to change. I felt that nothing was being investigated and that I was simply given the explanation "unexplained" keep trying, without the protocol ever being reviewed or changed. My FS was fine with me changing (I'm sure they get it all the time). All my records were photocopied for me and I took them to the new clinic who through further testing have discovered my issue.
    I would explain to your FS that you are seeking a second opinion as changing to donor eggs is a big step. I would be very surprised if your FS was upset by this - after all this is your life and you need to try everything you can so you don't look back with regrets. In my experience different clincs do things very differently and it's worth seeking a second opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMHO I think that with all of the time and money that we spend on IVF - and that fact that it's SUCH A MASSIVE THING, we should have no regrets and leave nothing unturned.

I agree with Summershine and talk to your FS openly that you want to be sure you've got all your options before taking such a big route down the ED path.

Changing clinics was easy, I did it after my ICSI #1 - and have never regretted it as I had doubts about the FC and a few things that never went 100% right & I knew those doubts were not going to go away.

Goodluck with whatever you decide is best for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's unlikely that your FS will even find out if you send a letter to your current FS's office requesting your file to be released to the other FS, usually the receptionists between the two offices will handle all that. But if you want to be frank with your current FS just tell him honestly that you want a second opinion. He shouldn't be offended by that. Both the FS's that I've attended have asked me to seek second opinion. However when I actually did leave the first FS, I didn't tell him I was leaving. I had most of the information (I get copies of blood tests and lab report and operation report at the time of each cycle), and I knew all the other details by heart so I just wrote it all out. New FS didn't have to request any notes from old FS. Funny thing was I almost "bumped" into the old FS 2 days ago at a takeaway and I was queueing in front of Mrs old FS at the bakery one day a few weeks ago and I'm sure she noticed the bump. (they live in the next suburb)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladies thanks for all the advice.

We saw our FS this morning. Went over the last couple of cycles and discussed the plan of attack moving forward and discussed using donors. All good.
    Mentioned that we would like a second opinion but that the plan was to still do our next cycle with him and our current clinic. he agreed that a second opinion was a good idea and even said that he would write us a referral, which is great cos it means that we won;t have to go to a GP for that.

Starf1sh - you asked about the donors. FS mentioned during our last visit that he had a previous patient who had a friend who was wanting to do a donor cycle. He also has some past patients who apparently occassionally mention that they would like to become egg donors. Today he mentioned that he had sent a newsletter out to GPs recently and had written a message about egg donors wanted.
    We will also register with our clinic but they have advised that their waiting period for eggs is 3-5 years.