+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DP doesn't like my current style.

Apparently my haircut looks like "something a child should have," (I have a short fringe - much like a Bettie Page fringe) and my make-up would, "Scare the men away," (he is referring to heavy lashes, bright pink or red lipstick... you know 40s/50s pin-up/rockabilly style). This was in response to me saying he just hated it cos I looked hotter now and all the men would want me... being a bit silly really, but I didn't expect that. It p*ssed me off, yes.

He doesn't mind some of the clothes, it's more the accessories and such... he thinks it's stupid to dress like you're in the past "BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE FOURTIES ANYMORE!" apparently. As I asked him, is it better to dress like I'm from the 40s, or the 80s, because right now, most shops tend to stock 80s-inspired hideousness.

I have told him though, that as I'm not dressing to impress him, but rather because it's a style I like, I will continue to dress as I please.

If he ever commented on my weight other than to say I looked like I'd lost some (or if I give him permission to say I'm a bit heavy, by starting a conversation about it myself) then I'd be shirty and probably go have a sulk/cry.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 16-01-2012 at 18:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Interesting ...

In another life (before DH), I had been dating a guy for about a year. I was going through a bit of a rough patch, and one day I just felt like I needed a change. I decided to go to the hairdresser and have my longish hair cut into a short bob.

Everyone told me it looked lovely, and I was so excited waiting for him to get home from work so I could surprise him with it. Unfortunately, his response of; "That is the ugliest I've ever seen you look" wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

I can't tell you the damage that did to my self esteem. I wore my hair pinned back in a ponytail for six months until it had grown back enough for the style I had cut in to no longer be recognizable.

After that experience, I have to say, if my DH ever said anything like that to me about my appearance the only action I would take would be to get the h3ll away from him.

I don't think I need to worry too much though - my DH thinks I'm pretty when I'm bedridden with the flu and my eyes are glued together with conjunctivitis and there is stale drool on my chin, so I don't think an extra kilo or two would be a deal breaker
    Wow.... That must have been awful! See now, that's harsh! I think there's different ways to word things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    DP doesn't like my current style.

Apparently my haircut looks like "something a child should have," (I have a short fringe - much like a Bettie Page fringe) and my make-up would, "Scare the men away," (he is referring to heavy lashes, bright pink or red lipstick... you know 40s/50s pin-up/rockabilly style). This was in response to me saying he just hated it cos I looked hotter now and all the men would want me... being a bit silly really, but I didn't expect that. It p*ssed me off, yes.

He doesn't mind some of the clothes, it's more the accessories and such... he thinks it's stupid to dress like you're in the past "BECAUSE IT'S NOT THE FOURTIES ANYMORE!" apparently. As I asked him, is it better to dress like I'm from the 40s, or the 80s, because right now, most shops tend to stock 80s-inspired hideousness.

I have told him though, that as I'm not dressing to impress him, but rather because it's a style I like, I will continue to dress as I please.

If he ever commented on my weight other than to say I looked like I'd lost some (or if I give him permission to say I'm a bit heavy, by starting a conversation about it myself) then I'd be shirty and probably go have a sulk/cry.
    Didn't you out up a photo of yourself last week on the "what do you look like this week thread?" Weren't you the rockabilly girl?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know... Personally, I'd like DH to let me know if he wasn't into my new look... I think I'd change it to a certain degree. There would be a lot of compromising! That's for sure. He'd have to tell me kindly though. If he were to say "you're ugly or that dress makes you look fat" I'd smack him with a studded baseball bat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's funny because DH will always tell me I'm beautiful and is genuinely attracted to me. However I tell DH if I don't like something about his appearance, like clothes, and I have even commented on his weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    Wow.... That must have been awful! See now, that's harsh! I think there's different ways to word things.
    Yeah, he was a real gem. Dunno why I wasted so long with him. One time, I was staying over and had no money on me until the next day when I got paid (as 18 year olds do) ... he ordered pizza and wouldn't let me have any because I didn't have money to give him for it. He ate 3 slices then put the rest in the fridge for leftovers and let me starve. Jerk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I asked for an opinion then yes I would be totally ok with his response, be it good or bad. If he coughed up something negative on his own, I think I would be upset and depending what it was, either take it on board or give him a mouth full!!!! lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3InATub For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (16-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    Didn't you out up a photo of yourself last week on the "what do you look like this week thread?" Weren't you the rockabilly girl?
    Attempting to head down that path, yes. That would be me. He doesn't like it though - he's very "normal." I think he'd probably like me to wear jeans and a pretty boring t-shirt, and have hair in a ponytail or something. Nothing wrong with that, but I just prefer to dress up a little more than he likes.

I don't really care about his opinion though - it's not like he's an expert on style or fashion, so he doesn't know what actually suits and what doesn't. He's also just totally not into my personal style, and that's his choice. I'd probably wear more than just black and white if I was a guy... but he does what he wants so I will too (he seriously wears black, white and grey... with the very occasional navy shirt around the house... lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Attempting to head down that path, yes. That would be me. He doesn't like it though - he's very "normal." I think he'd probably like me to wear jeans and a pretty boring t-shirt, and have hair in a ponytail or something. Nothing wrong with that, but I just prefer to dress up a little more than he likes.

I don't really care about his opinion though - it's not like he's an expert on style or fashion, so he doesn't know what actually suits and what doesn't. He's also just totally not into my personal style, and that's his choice. I'd probably wear more than just black and white if I was a guy... but he does what he wants so I will too (he seriously wears black, white and grey... with the very occasional navy shirt around the house... lol).
    You're gorgeous! I love love love the rockabilly style! Love it! I thought you looked gorgeous. I saw it and said "awesome!" Your DH is nuts! It's sexy yet sophisticated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Yeah, he was a real gem. Dunno why I wasted so long with him. One time, I was staying over and had no money on me until the next day when I got paid (as 18 year olds do) ... he ordered pizza and wouldn't let me have any because I didn't have money to give him for it. He ate 3 slices then put the rest in the fridge for leftovers and let me starve. Jerk.
    What tha f**!!!!! For real? What a complete and utter jerk! What a f*** nut! I can't believe that. It amazes me

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (16-01-2012),Shoopuf  (17-01-2012)