+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default taking responsibility for your recovery when depressed

My dad has suffered from depression for many years. Generally it has been pretty well managed, but he had a rough patch last year and is now sliding down that slope again. He is a very private person and struggles seeking help. He will not discuss how he is feeling with myself, my sisters or my mum (I think he wants to protect us). Last time he was struggling I was pretty proactive (mainly as I was concerned he might harm himself while home alone) - I called his GP to express my concern and ask about possible admission to a private clinic he had been to before, made an appointment for him (and virtually dragged him along), ecouraged him to follow through with a psychologist, sat with him so he wasn't alone, etc. This time I am finding it difficult and I am not sure how to deal with it. I am finding it frustrating that he continues to say "I'm fine" (despite clearly not being fine) and his refusal to seek treatment. I am finding myself withdrawing emotionally as it's just easier than a daily "how are you going" phone call that is entirely one sided. On the other hand, I want him to know I am thinking of him......

Would love some advice on how to handle this from those who might have been in similar situations, or who have been on the other side of the fence and have been depressed themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing. I know you care deeply for him but you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. Instead of letting this consume you why don't you go have some fun get back into something you like doing, and give your mind a rest. His issues with depression are just that. His issues. All you can do is be there for him when he needs you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the reply ElastiGirl. My head thinks you might be right, but my heart isn't letting go that easily!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I am new to this area. I have suffered from severe depression since I was 9 and wasnt really diagnosed until early 2010. I was put on effexor 150mg XR. Plus I was seeing a phycologist. I stopped seeing him late last year and have been off my medication for nearly 2 months. I still get some flare ups with my depression and anxity. Because I am currently ttc-ing for my first.