+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I have been induced??

When I was 36 + 5 I was told at my OB app that I needed to have bub that night and had to go straight to the labour ward to be induced, my OB checked my cervix an said it was high and firm so there was no point inducing me because it wouldn't work and to come back the next morning for a c-sect. There was a high chance bub could have severe jaundice so my OB said he thought a c - sect would be better for the baby any way because he didn't want him to get any bruising because it could be bad from the jaundice. I also had early stages of preclampsia. This was my first pregnancy and I was in shock so I went along with what the OB said.
    I am pregnant with my second and this keeps going through my head Can you be induced and have it work if your cervix is high and firm???

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hi - roughly 1/3 of inductions end in c-sects and this would be even more likely if you were only 36+5 with a high cervix. You may have birthed your baby vaginally with an inducation but at that stage you would have very likely ended in an emergency c-sect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As PP said with a high and firm cervix chances are slim at being able to induce you, I'm guessing your ob wanted bubs out ASAP, hence the c-sec, with a high and firm cervix induction would have taken a few days if at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much for your replies. Yes bub had to be out asap, c -sect went well and I healed really fast but now I have to have c -sects for all my births as they need to be minimum 4 weeks early.
    What you have said makes sense so Thankyou I can stop feeling angry bout it now

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with both my babies, the first one my cervix was high and firm and I was 0cm dilated, she was a 11hr labour. The second I was 1cm but my cervix was getting "squishy" so a more favorable induction and she was 4hr labour.
    I wasn't as early as you so don't know if that makes a difference??

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first child was born by caesar due to lack of amniotic fluid around her causing a need for her to be out "now".

There was an attempt to induce me at 36 weeks, but like you, my cervix was high and firm and although I went into gentle prelabour, I did not even progress to one centimetre dilated. The caesar was given as the best option and I took it.

What is the reason why you will have to have all subsequent births by caesarean and at least 4 weeks early? I ask, because although I am now heading to my 4th caesar this week, I have not been given any restrictions like this. My subsequent births were all at differing dates and have varied widely.

My son had to be born next at 36 weeks because of his size, not any other reason. He was almost 6kg at birth and there was no way that my smaller frame would have handled birthing him. My next daughter was born at 39 weeks by caesar because she had a complex congenital heart defect that claimed her life at 9 days old. They needed to know exactly when she would be born, hence the scheduled caesar. There was no thought of early though.

This time, I am having my baby at 38 weeks due to hospital policy as I am a type 1 diabetic.

The hospital I am birthing at strongly encourages mothers to try for a vaginal birth after caesarean unless it is medically indicated that they shouldn't ... I was offered a vaginal birth in my last pregnancy (which ended at 14 weeks) as my obstetrician at the time could see no reason why I should have a fourth caesar if all was going well with mine and baby's health.

But, all that aside ... in answer to your question, with preeclampsia in the equation (often only ever present in a first pregnancy), the caesarean was probably the better option over an attempted and failed induction for your health and your baby's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I hope things so smoother for you this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a copy of your pregnancy and birth hospital notes? You can apply to the hospital to get them through 'freedom of information'. I found it really valuable to get my notes and go through them with an independent midwife. It helped answer most of my questions.

take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky View Post
    My first child was born by caesar due to lack of amniotic fluid around her causing a need for her to be out "now".

There was an attempt to induce me at 36 weeks, but like you, my cervix was high and firm and although I went into gentle prelabour, I did not even progress to one centimetre dilated. The caesar was given as the best option and I took it.

What is the reason why you will have to have all subsequent births by caesarean and at least 4 weeks early? I ask, because although I am now heading to my 4th caesar this week, I have not been given any restrictions like this. My subsequent births were all at differing dates and have varied widely.

My son had to be born next at 36 weeks because of his size, not any other reason. He was almost 6kg at birth and there was no way that my smaller frame would have handled birthing him. My next daughter was born at 39 weeks by caesar because she had a complex congenital heart defect that claimed her life at 9 days old. They needed to know exactly when she would be born, hence the scheduled caesar. There was no thought of early though.

This time, I am having my baby at 38 weeks due to hospital policy as I am a type 1 diabetic.

The hospital I am birthing at strongly encourages mothers to try for a vaginal birth after caesarean unless it is medically indicated that they shouldn't ... I was offered a vaginal birth in my last pregnancy (which ended at 14 weeks) as my obstetrician at the time could see no reason why I should have a fourth caesar if all was going well with mine and baby's health.

But, all that aside ... in answer to your question, with preeclampsia in the equation (often only ever present in a first pregnancy), the caesarean was probably the better option over an attempted and failed induction for your health and your baby's.
    Thanks for sharing everything you have been through. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss .
    Omg 6 kg?! I have an average size frame and I wouldn't want to have a VB lol.

Thankyou everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences you have all made me feel so much better I was really angry for a long time and had this going over and over in my head.
    I have anti - c's antibodies in my blood which attack the baby and cause sever jaundice even death so it's really important that bubs is born as soon as the levels reach a certain level. I saw my OB yesterday and he said the anti c's usually rise with each pregnancy so will most prob be looking at even earlier then 36 weeks and another c -sect, at least I will be more prepared for it this time .
    I actually didn't know you could get your hosp notes so might look into that! Thanks