+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had mine in water (other than bath) from 6 weeks, and my nephew was the same. My brother and I both know how to teach swimming, but I'm not a swimming teacher, my brother is. My littlie was in lessons from 4 months, once a week, and in the pool with me everyday too. My nephew is 8 months old and can turn back to the side and grab the wall. He plays in the water which has taught him how to move by kicking and when to hold his breath.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wasn't fussed on lesson for dd as we own a pool and so does in laws.
    However the safety and survival smiles they teach bubs from very young is invaluable. We started dd just over 1 she loves it!!
    It's all about water familiarizing and survival skills (reaching for the wall, climbing out, safety exit in)
    We will start newbie at 6 months next time

Dd will swim Witt Floaties last year at 18 months now at 2.5 she can swim a short distance without floaties.

A few weeks back she was in our pool with bil and was jumping in from the side at him. She fell in by accident that surprised him too and she turned around and swam to the side to get back out
    Last edited by Little-Pink-Hen; 16-01-2012 at 06:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think they were fantastic for the little girl I nannyed she has been going since 15 months and now at 24 months can swim 10 metres out to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will be as we have a pool. I will start as early as possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've ben taking DS since he was 7 months old. Its so much fun. We go once a week. We did submerging in the first lesson and he was totally fine. He gets so excited now as soon as we're in the water. There's lots of songs, kicking their legs and digging with their arms.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started DS at 5 months old (weekly classes) and he was submerged on lesson one. However not all the babies were, the instructor took the cue from the babies. DS is now 2 and doing really well. He can climb out of the pool unaided, jump in and turn back to the wall, swim from the instructor to me for maybe a metre on his own and also he can now go under the rail (submerging his head) on his own, plus lots more.

Some lessons he is more into it than others, some weeks he tries harder others or he will refuse to do things he easily can. Occasionally now he will refuse to put his head under, i never force him as I want him to love water. Its all part of the journey I guess. Overall though he loves swimming and I enjoy it too. Yes it's expensive but swimming is a skill for life IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually heard that babies cant breathe underwater like hsa been said. i always thought this too until my younger brother actually showed me an interview with a Dr who stated that they can only breath in the sac as the cord is attached which is their breathing source but after the cord is removed they dont have that ability. something about the lungs. But i always thought their throat closed up or something so not sure baout the whole underwater thing. i think more than anything it would just be a reaction to know to close their mouths otherwise i doubt there would be so many drownings with little babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 5 months I took her into the pool and dunked her under water. She survived so I decided to teach her how to hold her breath. I just kept repeating 3-2-1 and then put her under water for a few seconds. Its worked well, she thinks she can swim now, she's 17 months and will just jump into the pool and sink to the bottom imitating a frog swimming. Over confidence is funny to watch.
    Last edited by ThreePeasPlease; 16-01-2012 at 13:38. Reason: may read into it the wrong way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will be starting my baby as soon as possible. Hopefully at around 3-4months old??

We live the by the beach and are down there regularly so it's extremely important my baby learns to swim early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 is a good swimmer, little fish that cries when asked to leave a pool. She can swim without any aid since she was 1 year and 7 months old.
    She learned how to swim without any aid in 2 months(!) with a good teacher. She started when she was one and a half.
    Now at 3 she can swim for an hour (I won't stay longer) in a pool without me being in a water, I just sit there and watch her swimming, but she is a water baby and it seems like she can go non stop once she is in a water.
    My DD2 is 4 months now but honestly I do not see any point in swimming lessons at this age as I can splash and play with her without paying for lessons
    I also think that public pools are not very desirable for such a small bub so I am thinking taking her for swim lessons once she is 1 year old at least and if she is like her older sister she will learn in no time anyway.