+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Does anyone take their little babies to swimming lessons?

I am taking 5 1/2 month old DD but they are closed until the end of the month so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what its like. I am not a water person so have a touch of anxiety about it but I know I will overcome it, I have to as I want her to love the water or at least be able to swim unlike me

DH says its really important for kids to learn to swim from very young for me I think its a little to young but I can see why he thinks that also. Anyway I am doing it and I cant wait.

On the website there are babies under the water how do they do that? How do you tell a 6 month old or 1 year old to hold their breath? I am just so curious at how it works. DD is nearly 6 months but on the website it says babies starting from 10 weeks that's amazing. Do they put 10 week olds under the water? Surely not straight away?

Any info ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids both started at 6mo and still go at ages 3 and 4. The first months are just getting them used to water, lots of songs and games so they have fun. Then they start to learn things like turning back to the wall. I don't remember what age we started putting them under but before that, they do things like bubbles with their chin in then their face etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi. I started 'swimming and massage classes' with my baby from 2 months old. It was overseas, but the only type of mother's group offered. Absolutely awesome - bubs sleep so well after a swim. In Australia with my second I think he had to be 5 months before we could start.

So, first yes babies can go under water - both places we would sing tsays song and then you blow in their face which makes them scrunch every thing up - eyes, mouth etc and then you just pop them under. Some babies flail a bit or look shocked to start with but as soon as you bring them back up you praise and cuddle them. If you are nervous about it though the instructor won't make you do it - they might just drizzle water over baby's head.

I'm a water person so I love taking my kids swimming, I hope you find it enjoyable too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little man started at 5 months he is now four an a little fish, he could swim under water before he could crawl. Try not to let your fears an anxiety be felt by your baby it is so natural to them. With the holding the breath they always had signals where I went eg 123 under, they just learn to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all about water familiarisation at first. Lots of songs, splashing, feeling movements through the water.

DS has been going since 6 months and he now jumps in the pool on his own and swims under water (short distances). The progression is gradual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is going to a Paul Sadler school. I like that the activities are subtly teaching the babies water skills that they build on right through every stage. E.g. When they teach to kick their legs and splash their hands then look up - this is what they use for treading water later on... So it might seem silly or strange at first but there is a reason for each activity. They also don't force you to put you baby underwater but it's good for the babies to learn not to panic and reach for you or the ledge - it could save them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just started taking DS at 4.5mths, he's had 2 lessons so far. At first i was worried thinking he's too young, but our whole class is under 1, with majority around 6mths.

In Aust they don't recommend starting earlier than 4mths in a public pool due to risk of bubs getting sick before they've had 2 rounds of immunisations.

As PP have said already, at this age it's all about water familiarization. Plenty of singing and games, but all have a purpose for later on. It's your choice on whether you submerge bubs, but the earlier the better. We did it on the first lesson and he was fine! It's more scary for the parents the first few times it's common for them to swallow a bit of water, but they soon learn to hold their breath.

I strongly believe in our country that all children should learn to swim and/or be comfortable around water from this age. Our culture is based around summer/beaches etc so it's so important, good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be taking DD as soon as she's old enough. She loves her baths and it is a natural progression. We've also got a pool so it is a safety issue too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was an article I saw (might have been on BH?) That you can start at home by pouring water over your baby's head with verbal cues. I started to try it and when the water touches DS face he close his eyes and mouth and hold his breath for the few seconds. Maybe you could try that to help both you and bub gain familiarisation before classes?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    They do put 10 week old babies under the water!

And they actually cough/swallow MUCH MUCH less water then my 19 mnth old because it's not a shock to them. They only emerged from a water sack 10 weeks earlier

We go to classes with aus swim.

6wks-18mnths is water familiarization. Lots of songs, splashing, lying them on their back/stomach (their head resting on your shoulder) and kicking their legs for them, holding them under your arm and paddling their arms for them, floaty toys, they also dunk them! (it's ENTIRLY up to you if you want them dunked or not)

No they don't hold their breath. They swallow the water and a cough and thats how they learn to hold their breath by cause and effect.

My friends been taking her DD since she was 6 mnths. She's 2.5 now and can swim (with a floaty) unassisted.

Ive been taking my DD since 12 mnths old. Shes now 19 mnths and can swim about 2 meters with a back floaty and 2 arm floatys. (she's still big scaredy cat though)

It's expensive but SO much fun and SO rewarding & reassuring to see your bub actually swimming