+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Started new job.. And ivf- need advice!

Hi girls,

Have finally found permanent part time work which is great for the financial side of things.. But now my issue is how I do a cycle with my new job,, how do I get time off for EPU and transfer etc:. Bloods and scans aren't an issue as I work close to the clinic..

I'm sure I'm not the only one that had gone thru this so just need advice!

Thanks again.

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    My suggestion would be to wait until you are 2.5 months into your role (assuming probation confirmation is 3 months) and then just use sick leave and hope you ave epu on a Friday so you have the weekend to rest. When I started a new role I also had day off for epu and said I was having a minor op which meant I could then say I had to have Follow-up appt on transfer day. Also depends on the relationship with your boss. All my old bosses knew but this section does not which makes it harder.

Sent from my iPad so pardon the errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That idea would be be great if it was 3 months probation... But it's sadly 6! Which I think is a joke but I guess employers are doing that now as a sign of the times...

I don't think we will be cycling at the end of this month due to financial reasons do it will be most prob end of feb..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why cant you just say you 'may' need to have a small day proccedure done. Even if you have just started you are still entitiled to have some leave....its not like you should have to have alot of time off....just a day here and there!

I only work 3 1/2 days a week now and was so lucky that nearly all my EPU's fell on my days off so I didnt have to tell them anything!

Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    JG - Congrats on the new job! That's wonderful news! How part time is it? Is it likely your EPU would fall on a day off?

I think jacklicky's idea is a good one and not sure if it is possible to offer to work from home/make some hours up if necessary.

I am due to go back to work part time in April, and I just know that all things IVF will fall on the 2 days I am going back to work! An extra complication that is definately not needed right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you job-share are you able to 'swap' days with your job-sharer and if you are part-timer by yourself, are you able to swap to a different day (so you still get paid and they still get you at work for the same amount of hours that week)? I can't believe they put you on a 6 month probation! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls!

Thanks so much for your replies! Much appreciated!

Its only in retail so cant really swap days as such... its only part time so its only 3-4 hours at a time... My boss would be great though as this morning I mentioned I was coming down with the flu etc and she said 'Oh you should have called and said you cant come in' - I was in shock!! This is not what I am used to!! haha

I guess I'll have tp decide if i just call in sick or say I am having day surgery...

Thanks Kitty! Loving my job actually!! And you dont need to worry about doing IVF then as this little emby is going to stick around my love!!

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jessy I agree with jaclicky
    I'd just casually mention you might have to have a procedure done.

I'm in a sort if similar situation.... Although been at my job 2 1/2 years, I only got back to work 2 weeks ago then had to give them very short notice for a week off with sick leave due to my wisdom teeth having to come out, had all 4 removed with bone!!!! So there was no chance of shorter time... I'm due to go back tomorrow & have used all my sick leave
    My bosses are not very reasonable with annual & sick leave and after a week off... If we do go down the IVF road most likely we will start late feb early march and therefore more sick days needed... I was so torn between what to do... I even considered lying and saying I suffer with bad pain during my periods & need to go in for a day procedure... Still not to sure what to say as I cannot tell them :-/

Sucks hey!

Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only been at my job for 7 months, but I ended up confessing that I was doing IVF.

I asked for time off in September due to my surgery (I didn't say what it was for though). I thought that I would have to explain myself this time as my appointments etc fall into my work time (I work 5am - 9am). I told my boss that some days I will need to leave at 8am so that I can get my bloods done by 9am, but I will need the day off for EPU and ET.
    She didn't have a problem with it and told me she figured my surgery was fertility related because of where my incisions were. I had ovarian drilling and thought I could pass those scars off as my apendix was taken out

The other reason I confessed is because 2 weeks after my treatment has finished, I am going to Sydney for 9 days for my sisters wedding. I started to cry when I was telling her all of this and she told me that I can tell her anything and not worry about losing my job. I feel good that she knows so I don't have to hide anything, but I wish she didn't know because if it doesn't work, I don't want to look like a failure and get 101 questions about it.

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies girls.

I guess I'll just play it by ear- I'm working in retail now so not really job share although I know there is a casual who would do the hours but the main thing is not wanting to lose my job! It's six month probation! Joke! But yeh what can I do..

Your lucky you boss was so understanding! I'd be worried my regional manager would be less than impressed! Haha.

I guess the good thing bout PT work is the availability to do bloods etc just not money wise!

X