+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Butter Cream filling .....help

I made a butter cream filling today that didnt turn out quite as i had hoped.

The recipe is

90 g butter
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
    1/3 cup caster sugar
    1/3 cup milk
    1/3 cup water

Beat butter, essence and sugar in bowl until as white as possible
    Gradually beat in water and milk a teaspoon at a time.

Ok so I did as the recipe said but the cream came out very thick. Is this normal?

Could anyone tell me if I hadnt mixed it enough or had I mixed it too much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Buttercream icing is usually pretty thick. You could thin it by adding more water or milk to the consistency that you want. You didn't mix it too much - you can't mix this type of thing too much. What do you need it for? It will go hard in the fridge by the way, so you'll need to use it at room temperature.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Johnny Poppers  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I usually just cheat and whip up store purchased thickened cream with sugar and vanilla essence but thought I would give something different a go. I was just not sure of the consistency. So next time I will just add a little more milk or water to get it a little thinner. It didn't spread as well as I had hoped over the jam. Luckily I could cover it up with the sprinkling of cocoa. I presumed that it would harden in the fridge due to the butter.

I made old fashioned cream and jam filled pastry mushrooms for my father as a treat. He came and had afternoon tea with DS and myself. He thought they were great so that is all that matters.