+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think potential tenants have an awful cheek to insist that they be allowed to have pets. I *once* let a tenant have pets and will never again let a tenant have pets.
    or even worse when they lie about it and think they're fooling you come inspection time.

Our old neighbour thought her landlord was coming around while they were at work because they were given a breech for having dogs, but just stepping in her front door you could smell dog, even though they were relatively clean dogs and she was a clean freak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I can understand why people lie though on rental applications. I wouldn't personally, because I have no desire to live my life looking over one shoulder but I do understand why others do.

I'm trying to secure a rental interstate and it is HARD . I have 7 children and 2 dogs and apparently, the plague

We have owned 3 homes, but never rented. Have impeccable references as an owner, but none as a tenant.

We have been unable to secure a rental yet, from 10 applications

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    I can understand why people lie though on rental applications. I wouldn't personally, because I have no desire to live my life looking over one shoulder but I do understand why others do.

I'm trying to secure a rental interstate and it is HARD . I have 7 children and 2 dogs and apparently, the plague

We have owned 3 homes, but never rented. Have impeccable references as an owner, but none as a tenant.

We have been unable to secure a rental yet, from 10 applications
    Which area are you moving to? When we first moved to Australia we were a married, childless, petless, non drinking couple, but it took us over 50 applications.

I'm sure the kids and pets are a deterent, but if they are desperate or have no 'safer' alternatives you should be okay. It's about supply and demand.

Our old house has been empty for 2 months, rent dropped $30, pets are now allowed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Which area are you moving to? When we first moved to Australia we were a married, childless, petless, non drinking couple, but it took us over 50 applications.

I'm sure the kids and pets are a deterent, but if they are desperate or have no 'safer' alternatives you should be okay. It's about supply and demand.

Our old house has been empty for 2 months, rent dropped $30, pets are now allowed.
    Brisbane North side, around Narangba way.

50 applications wow

Maybe I should be more patient

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    Brisbane North side, around Narangba way.

50 applications wow

Maybe I should be more patient
    South side Brisbane and Gold Coast have a high vacancy rate at the moment. Pity Brisbane is so sprawled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyflossfairy View Post
    Can they say no fish? that is pathetic how is a fish going to affect the house?
    Our agent came to do an inspection with the owner's father (he was looking at a leak in the roof) ... I guess that explains why she took him in another room when she first walked in the house - we have a rather large aquarium ... and two very small ones! ... in the lounge. I never even considered that fish would be an issue! Lucky for us, hubby heard the father say it was no problem then came and asked him about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I've said 'oh we have 3 gold fish' when we applied for this house and the agent laughed and said they don't really count.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by laurea; 07-02-2012 at 13:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's reasonable to allow pets in rental's. As someone else said kids tend to do more damage then a pet. I don't think animals should be inside though, but each to their own I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read the replies but as an owner of a town house that we rent out through an agent, we have stipulated no pets.

The reason for this is because when we lived in the town house, which is in a group of 4, two of the other places had dogs. In one of the houses when the owners were not home the dogs were left outside to bark and bark and bark and bark, all day and all night, and basically it drove us and the other neighbours insane. In the other property the dog was locked inside all day while the owner was at work and it chewed the wooden venetian blinds to pieces.

So yes, I believe owners should have the right to stipulate no pets, particularly when it is done taking into account the neighbours and the wear and tear, over and above general living, that pets can have on the property.