+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think landlords should assess on a case by case basis, rather than having blanket rules. I have owned cats (inside and outside) and rottweilers (outside only) and never had an issue. In fact, every property has been in better condition when I vacated than when I rented it.

My first property I got two cats without asking not long after moving in. A few weeks after that, my ex decided I could have my rottie back. Then 3 months after that, my new boyfriend (now dh) moved in with his rottie. The landlord lived interstate, but a couple of months after all the animals moved in, he called over, apologizing for the intrusion and asking to see something that had been an issue at the back of the property. I apologised for all the animals, but invited him to inspect how we looked after the property with them here. After looking around, he was more than satisfied, and when we vacated 2 years later, he wrote me a great reference.

I would also be willing to pay an extra bond when renting to cover the animals. Is there such a thing as a "pet bond"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Haven't read the responses but I think it's mostly fine with the way it is now - completely up to the landlord. Although my DS makes far more mess than my cat, I can understand why my cat isn't allowed to live with us. Hence, she currently is living with my parents. The previous tenants had large dogs that they allowed to sleep in the WIR (by the smells of things anyway) and the smell was so strong the carpets had to be replaced entirely.

I'll never have another pet until we buy, it's too risky. And I can totally understand why a landlord wouldn't allow someone to live in their home if they had 4 cats, 2 dogs, 6 goats and a ferret. I do think it's a little OTT to worry about fish etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can they say no fish? that is pathetic how is a fish going to affect the house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyflossfairy View Post
    If the tank leaks & the house sustains water damage.

We had a fish tank in our old house that had a slow leak we didn't see till the floor board fell through to the ground.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    A water stain could happen from anything, TT. I think it's a bit OTT (perhaps controlling?) not to allow fish.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    After having a couple of bad experiences with tenants having pets and causing major damage, we too do not allow pets in our investment properties.

I do feel sad that it means that families struggle to find decent accommodation that allows for pets - but we cant sustain that kind of damage so unfortunately have had to go that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    A water stain could happen from anything, TT. I think it's a bit OTT (perhaps controlling?) not to allow fish.
    I think it is too.

When a 6th tank falls through the floor you kinda wonder WTF happened to the floor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyflossfairy View Post
    I don't allow pets, but I wouldn't have a problem with fish, but then again, I suppose if you allow fish (which I would) then would it open the flood gates for other small animals like Rats, Mice, birds etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it should come down to 1) how the landlord feels, 2) That the property is or isn't suited for some pets.

I have 1 cat and can still find it very difficult and annoying when trying to find a new home, we never look for places with carpet as we hate it and to see many homes fully tiled saying and a massive backyard saying "NO PETS" and still would no consider a cat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seeing that the landlord is the owner - then the owner gets the say so about pets/no pets.

Any law that says otherwise would mean I would sell my rental property.

I think potential tenants have an awful cheek to insist that they be allowed to have pets. I *once* let a tenant have pets and will never again let a tenant have pets.