+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Uniquely - the homes that I've seen had a reasonable backyard for a 'large family' and said a lot of things like 'room to move' and 'plenty of space'...'big yard' and the like then at the very end 'sorry no pets' - and it's a real let down.

Yes tenants should look for homes that would allow pets, but it's a lot harder than you think when there seems to be A LOT of properties that don't allow pets! And sometimes the need for a home for the family is greater than the need for a pet friendly home....so unfortunately sometimes the pets get the boot and I think that's a real shame. If you advertise for a family to live there, then you gotta know that A LOT if not most families have at least one pet.

But ah well....owner's house and all that so they have a choice, I just think it's unreasonable, especially when, as I said before, kids do more damage most of the time - next we'll see clauses of 'sorry no young children' LOL

I'm glad the owners of our house allow us to have our pets....it's nice for the kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Uniquely - the homes that I've seen had a reasonable backyard for a 'large family' and said a lot of things like 'room to move' and 'plenty of space'...'big yard' and the like then at the very end 'sorry no pets' - and it's a real let down.

Yes tenants should look for homes that would allow pets, but it's a lot harder than you think when there seems to be A LOT of properties that don't allow pets! And sometimes the need for a home for the family is greater than the need for a pet friendly home....so unfortunately sometimes the pets get the boot and I think that's a real shame. If you advertise for a family to live there, then you gotta know that A LOT if not most families have at least one pet.

But ah well....owner's house and all that so they have a choice, I just think it's unreasonable, especially when, as I said before, kids do more damage most of the time - next we'll see clauses of 'sorry no young children' LOL

I'm glad the owners of our house allow us to have our pets....it's nice for the kids
    Do you know I have actually seen private rentals with "no kids"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Do you know I have actually seen private rentals with "no kids"
    Wouldn't surprise me

We are trying to get a rental interstate and one of the RE agents actually said we were knocked back because the landlord thought we had too many children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me

We are trying to get a rental interstate and one of the RE agents actually said we were knocked back because the landlord thought we had too many children
    I can't believe they actually admitted that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an indoor cat that we aren't supposed to have. We hide him for inspections and I think if the house is so clean they don't know he's here unless they see him, then we should get to keep him

We accidentally forgot to hide his food bowl last time so I think they now know lol...

If the animals are trashing the house and gross then if I were a landlord I wouldn't want them there, but if they're outside pets and the person will pay any damage out of their bond then pets should be allowed.

I'm just scared to apply for a house with a pet on the application because I feel like they'd choose an applicant without a pet before someone with a pet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    I can't believe they actually admitted that.
    Houses do have a limit on occupancy I think. Our last house was 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1982 View Post
    We have an indoor cat that we aren't supposed to have. We hide him for inspections and I think if the house is so clean they don't know he's here unless they see him, then we should get to keep him

We accidentally forgot to hide his food bowl last time so I think they now know lol...

If the animals are trashing the house and gross then if I were a landlord I wouldn't want them there, but if they're outside pets and the person will pay any damage out of their bond then pets should be allowed.

I'm just scared to apply for a house with a pet on the application because I feel like they'd choose an applicant without a pet before someone with a pet.
    That happened to me once. They told me I had the place, then the next day I was told the landlord changed their mind when they saw I had a cat. I lie about it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Houses do have a limit on occupancy I think. Our last house was 8.
    In a hotel/motel sure, but a house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes & no. I can understand both sides.

Its their property - their baby. They dont want it ruined & suffer from paying to fix it themselves

And for renters its like we pay hundreds every week but u can basically do nothing these days to really make it your home.

With the added stress of never knowing if youl be forced to move out for whatever reason & then you get some landlords/realestate who expect you live by their rules yet they cant be bothered to fix things in the house that desperately need to be fixed.

Lose/lose situation sometimes

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's actually an interesting point as leases that do not allow pets are against the Residential Tennancies Act and actually uninforcible. There is nothing in the Residential Tennancies Act that says you cannot have pets (unless a pet you have causes damage to the property) and so even if you sign a lease stating you will not have pets, you could still keep them there and if you were taken to court over it, well, the tennants generally win unless there is damage to the house. Basically you cannot write a lease that overrides the Act. This is the case for Victoria anyway. My husband is a Real Estate Agent!