+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it is fairly unreasonable to allow no pets under any circumstances.

I think disallowing large dogs indoors is fair enough, and I also think that pet bonds are more than reasonable, as well as extra attention being paid upon exit of the property (such as flea treatments, etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    All the agencies I have known in QLd, it is a condition of lease that if you have had a pet in or on the premises, you must have a flea inspection treatment done upon vacating the property. Pet bond's are illegal in Qld as far as I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rent and would love to have a pet the house we are currently in doesn't allow us to do so but I can understand why LL don't allow pets. Our fences are too low anyways for a dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I think there would be fewer domestic pets at the shelter if pets are allowed. I know as a low income family, if I were to rent there would be very few properties to choose from in my price range, and even fewer if I wanted to have my furbabies with me. However, this is also why I only took on pets after I bought this place, not while renting. Too risky.
    I think this is SO IMPORTANT when it comes to pet ownership.

I dont allow pets in my rental, though my tenant atm seems great so if she sticks around I may change that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    I rent out a home and as a Land Lord (with a real estate overseeing the property) I do not allow any tenants to have pets, whether that be inside or outside the rental property.

However, I rent the house we currently live in and own 2 cats and our land lord allows us to have pets, which I am very grateful about as otherwise I would obviously have to find a house where I could have my pets.

What are your thoughts, do you think it's unreasonable for a land lord to not allow pets, or do you think it's quite reasonable to allow pets.

*Most* agencies have a condition of rent that if you have pets in the home, you have to have a pest and flea inspection done before vacating the property and some even ask you to pay a pet bond, so given those things are available would it *still* unreasonable not to allow pets period?
    It's the landlords choice. When we rented our house out we accepted pets as long as they were outside but as it turned out the tennants had been having the dogs inside and had trashed the house which the bond wasn't enough to cover damages. If we have a rental again we will be definately stipulating no pets. Its situations such as this and these people having no respect for others property that make it difficult for those that may be responsible tennants wanting to rent that have pets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I think there would be fewer domestic pets at the shelter if pets are allowed. I know as a low income family, if I were to rent there would be very few properties to choose from in my price range, and even fewer if I wanted to have my furbabies with me. However, this is also why I only took on pets after I bought this place, not while renting. Too risky.
    I agree, having pets is a privilege. We won't get any until we buy too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    the whole building that we own a unit in is no pets allowed. but one lot of tenants we had didnt ask or tell us and had a cat there. cat ruined the carpet and blinds and we had to take then to tenancy tribunal to recover costs

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no way I would let renters in our townhouse have a pet.

For one, it's on a main road, if a cat was to roam it would probably get squished. And the crazy **** neighbour in unit 6 catches cats and takes them to the pound!!

Two, the backyard is not big enough for dogs. We had our Pom there (she is 1.3kg) but you can't say "only dog this small" better off just saying no. Poor thing wouldn't have enough room to run around. (the Pom got taken for walks a lot!!)

Three, that's brand new carpet and the bond would even cover a bad replacement let lone a good one!!

Four, our body corp went ape over the dog but no one complained and we owned it so there was sweet FA they could do. (apparently its on your units public liability insurance if someone gets bitten by the dog)
    Last edited by Eleven Eleven; 15-01-2012 at 15:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes they should be allowed to have pets as tennants have rights too, but it is a personal decision for the landlords to make really.

We have been landlords and our tenants lied to us and told us they had 2 dogs, little did we know they had 4 dogs and 4 cats who all lived indoors we went home to reclaim the property from them never paying rent on time and we had to rip up carpets from the cat pee and poo stench and They left one of their cats there!!!

And even after all this I believe that if the tenant proves to e responsible and a good tenant then why should they not be allowed pets?

Although as we found out the hard way having pets indoors is a difficult thing to police they told us they were all outside pets. Cost us thousands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and should I stipulate so long as the residence is suitable for pets also (we had 5 acres rented out still not suitable to have 8 animals living indoors in my opinion as a landlord though)