+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We are renting with our 2 dogs and 2 birds. We are very clean with our dogs, they are bathed regularly and do not have fleas. Even though they were previously indoor dogs we now keep them outside as we aren't allowed them inside and don't want to do the wrong thing. I understand there are gross ferals who would let their animals run wild in rentals however it really ruins it for the good pet owners. If we were allowed our dogs inside we would definitely leave it in the same condition as when we moved in.

It's so sad seeing how many dogs are surrendered because families can not find houses to allow their pets. We would be happy to pay an extra pet bond to keep them inside. However while they would prefer to be in with us they have really adapted well to the change of being outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've only read the OP.

I think they should allow outside, but fair enough not inside. personally I'm not a fan of indoor pets. They smell and make the carpet smell. They leave hair and some do their business on carpets that maybe shampooed but gets into the underlay.

Outside I don't see any issue with. The worst is digging a hole and they can be filled or scratching a trunk of a tree.

I do feel for LL's that have feral tenants that ruin the place, not just pets but generally. sadly as a long term renter though, I'm tired of paying bonds, rent every week to pay off someone else's mortgage and have no rights. I think there needs to be some give and take, with both sides being good to each other. Unfortunately, having rented 17 years, my experience is that the LL takes and never gives back. They are more than happy to take tens of thousands a year but act like they are letting us live there out of the goodness of their heart or something It maybe be the LL's house, but it's our home we PAY for to live there. Surely a dog in the backyard can't hurt???

I know that won't be popular with the members who are LL's here. But let me tell you it would suck being a tenant being fleeced in rent then told you can't have a little dog in the backyard
    Last edited by delirium; 10-08-2012 at 22:18.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Aroha0509  (10-08-2012),Boobycino  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's up to the landlord. We allow our tenants to have pets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That's how I feel delirium.

On the one hand it must be awful to have bad tenants. but I think most people do treat their home like a home and care for it.

I think they *should* allow pets, but I do understand the hesitation. I like "pets considered on application" . then there's room to negotiate and discuss then.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    That's how I feel delirium.

On the one hand it must be awful to have bad tenants. but I think most people do treat their home like a home and care for it.

I think they *should* allow pets, but I do understand the hesitation. I like "pets considered on application" . then there's room to negotiate and discuss then.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    I get the hesitation too, i have a friend who is like this.

Gets animals that are never toilet trained, they sh!t and p!ss everywhere BUT the thing is she is housing dept si never bothers to get permission, i think the.people likely to ask permission arent likely to destroy the place

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    I think I'm just jaded from a being a renter so long. Totally over it tbh and want to buy so badly. If I'm ever a LL I'll expect my rent but I'll also meet in the middle and be good to my tenants, and I could less about a dog in the backyard....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Gets animals that are never toilet trained, they sh!t and p!ss everywhere BUT the thing is she is housing dept si never bothers to get permission, i think the.people likely to ask permission arent likely to destroy the place

Yeah see that is gross and why I understand a 'no animals inside' rule. Personally I can always pick a household that has indoor dogs and cats, even a clean house has a slight smell. So if a LL specified only outside, even if they only dumped the dog outside for the inspection, the RE could tell if they had them inside anyway.

That way everyone wins. The LL doesn't have pets weeing on the carpets and ruining stuff, and the tenant gets to keep a pet, just outside

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends.

I think in general, the choice should be the landlord's.

However, perhaps it could have certain conditions. Dogs allowed, if they have a sheltered dog run. Cat allowed, if they have a scratching post.

Our rental property was strictly no pets. I sent a pet resume along. All had done their CGC awards, so I sent those, pictures of their dog runs, notes from their vet on health and behaviour, and a few references from my previous landlord.
    We got the house and got our deposit back at the end of three years because he couldn't tell we'd had dogs on the property when we moved out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yeah see that is gross and why I understand a 'no animals inside' rule. Personally I can always pick a household that has indoor dogs and cats, even a clean house has a slight smell. So if a LL specified only outside, even if they only dumped the dog outside for the inspection, the RE could tell if they had them inside anyway.

That way everyone wins. The LL doesn't have pets weeing on the carpets and ruining stuff, and the tenant gets to keep a pet, just outside
    But as i said, most people who do that arent the type to ASK permission anyway, its people like me who have always done the responsible (ask permission, toilet train, desex and microchip etc) thay are punished.

I think a higher bond, agreement to garnish wages in the event damage is not repaired and every 3 month inspections are a fair price to pay to give a 'bond' on having a pet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I would hate the idea of 3 monthly inspections, (ours are every 6) but as a pet owner I would be open to agreeing on a system where the owner could recoup any costs the bond didn't cover without having to go thru court.