+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default *Spin off thread* Do think Land Lords should allow pet(s) in rental properties?

I rent out a home and as a Land Lord (with a real estate overseeing the property) I do not allow any tenants to have pets, whether that be inside or outside the rental property.

However, I rent the house we currently live in and own 2 cats and our land lord allows us to have pets, which I am very grateful about as otherwise I would obviously have to find a house where I could have my pets.

What are your thoughts, do you think it's unreasonable for a land lord to not allow pets, or do you think it's quite reasonable to allow pets.

*Most* agencies have a condition of rent that if you have pets in the home, you have to have a pest and flea inspection done before vacating the property and some even ask you to pay a pet bond, so given those things are available would it *still* unreasonable not to allow pets period?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    if the home owner had allergies to pets then no not unreasonable

also who owns the house we all know bonds don't cover much damage at all

we do have 2 dogs so I am not against pets I just know the mess they can make

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't allow tenants to have pets in a house I owned as a general rule.

On a case by case situation where the tenants where trustworthy, clean etc I may consider it. It would have to be an outside pet though I think.

We always had dogs in our house growing up and it was GROSS!! I think I am scarred. We have a dog but she is an outside dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that pets should be allowed if the tenant is prepared to pay a bond.i have always been allowed to have my cat but I have always paid a pet bond for her.

I don't know if I would behind that thrilled however to rent a home just vacated by someone with a pet who had left fleas in the carpet though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they should. But then I think our rental system needs a good shake up to be more like Europe or the US when tenants can have long term leases and can treat the property as their own (painting etc).

It's hard to require someone to allow pets though - especially when they're reting out what may have previously been a family house or a first home. But I'd love it if things would change do pets weren't considered anathema to a property.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (15-01-2012),laurea  (16-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Completely up to the home owner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's unreasonable for landlords not to allow pets if the house/unit is suitable for it.

I have 3 houses that I rent out all with pets on application, ie they apply with the rental form. I have never knocked back a pet but would consider it if they had say 6 cats! Currently two of the houses have dogs. Kids often cause more damage than a animal imo.

They most carpet clean and pest the houses for fleas upon leaving. In qld it's illegal to charge an extra bond for animals.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a bit in two minds about it. If the tenant would pay a bond and it was a part of the lease that they would have all flea/pest sprays done, and ensure that all holes in the garden etc were filled before leaving, then maybe. Outside dogs only though, I can't stand dog smell inside the house. I wouldn't mind an inside cat if they did all of the above.

We bought a house that already had tenants in it and they had in their lease that they could have an outside-only dog. Only problem was, they had two dogs, both INSIDE that then had a litter of pups. There was nothing in the lease about them having to have the carpets sprayed etc, and after the r/e going out and getting them to come back TWICE to clean again after they vacated, we just cut our losses and did it ourselves. But when we moved in, the urine smell in the carpets was so bad we had to rip them up. It was awful. But that's probably more to do with the type of tenants they were than the animals ie. they were messy and dirty anyway.

But I've rented before with pets, and I was thankful we were able to have them. Of course we did everything right and made sure that everything our pets damaged was fixed and the place was cleaned and sprayed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyB View Post
    I think our rental system needs a good shake up to be more like Europe or the US when tenants can have long term leases
    This I agree with long term leases with better terms would be great given the current market so many more people are renting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    I rent out a home and as a Land Lord (with a real estate overseeing the property) I do not allow any tenants to have pets, whether that be inside or outside the rental property.

However, I rent the house we currently live in and own 2 cats and our land lord allows us to have pets, which I am very grateful about as otherwise I would obviously have to find a house where I could have my pets.

What are your thoughts, do you think it's unreasonable for a land lord to not allow pets, or do you think it's quite reasonable to allow pets.

*Most* agencies have a condition of rent that if you have pets in the home, you have to have a pest and flea inspection done before vacating the property and some even ask you to pay a pet bond, so given those things are available would it *still* unreasonable not to allow pets period?
    I think it depends on the type of property, and also the home owner (obviously)
    The house we currently rent, is in an estate, pretty much all the houses are the same layout, but they are placed so close together and the yards are not on the large size. Personally I dont think pets should be alloud in any of the houses where I live, the yards have no space for dogs to run around, and often once one starts barking, it will set off all the dogs in the estate, so some mornings we are woken at 5am to a complex full of barking dogs and I never see any of the owners walk their dogs. The neighbours either side of me both brought dogs around the same time, as puppies and they never get taken out of the yard they are now bigger so they bark so loudly and always set each other off, i really feel sorry for them. And the cats are even worse! There are so many, they much just keep mating with each other but I have seen about 5 different types in our yard and have no idea who they belong to!

I guess I just hate seeing pets mistreated, if you buy a dog, be prepared to walk it and play with it. Not just buy for a novelty anf because it is cute and then forget about it. These poor dogs sit in their tiny yards all day everyday - it really is quite sad! I just think the houses in our complex are way to small to accomodate a pet dog. anyway.. that kind of turned into a rant of my own.

Putting all that aside though, I think pet owners should still be able to rent, i'm sure the majority are responsible pet owners. I guess it's up to the homeowner to use their judgement and references to whether or not they would allow a pet into their home, but I do understand why some owners knock back pets.
    Last edited by Littlemissmetal; 15-01-2012 at 14:30.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

kriista  (15-01-2012)