+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,757
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked
    435
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Tell me about your favourite backyard tree....

    Espeically if you live in Brisbane and surrounds.
    So, we had a massive tree in the backyard which was attacking the pipes with it's roots, dropping leaves and flowers 24/7 BUT was excellent shade for the kids. The last straw came when this summer it lost all it's leaves, so wasn't even providing much shade and we had it cut down!
    But now our backyard is soooo hot!
    So off I went to the Nursery to find a replacement tree, but the guy gave me so many options, none of which I really liked the look of, and now I'm even more confused!
    So do you have a great shade tree in your backyard (that isn't too messy, wont attack my pipes, and is fairly fast growing)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,757
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked
    435
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bump! Anyone?

    What about a Poinciana? Are they messy?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10,945
    Thanks
    2,614
    Thanked
    2,866
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Would you believe, I was about to come on and strongly suggest and sing the praises of the Poinciana and then noticed you were asking after it anyway! In Brisbane we had the most divine and huge Poinciana tree, it was leafy, but not too dark or shady, had thick and strong enough branches enough to climb and/or build a tree house in it, when it flowered the flowers were very vibrant red and it wasn't at all messy like a Jacaranda tree can be.

    In regards to pipes etc, don't plant Umbrella plants, they are shocking and wreak havoc on your pipes. In fact, (don't quote me on it) but I am pretty sure they're now illegal to plant because of pipes.

    I would go with Poinciana .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Other side of the screen!
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked
    870
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I get back to you soon....? I'll have to go outside and look at what I have there are a few fast growers I have that dont lose their leaves.

    You want to avoid things like figs, weeping willows, oaks etc as they all have extremely invasive root systems that will wreck your pipes and also can get into council sewers etc.. So bad....!

    What kind do you like...? Big and shady umbrella types? Glossy leaves or anything in particular?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Other side of the screen!
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked
    870
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With regards to poncienna.. You have that or a jacaranda that are similar..

    With those two, you want to try and get one with a big straight trunk, because if you buy a "split" one (like it forks into two) then it won't go into a nice umbrella shape.. The ones with a straight trunk will branch out nicely and create that look.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10,945
    Thanks
    2,614
    Thanked
    2,866
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh, and AVOID Leopard trees like the plague!! They're everywhere in Brisvegas, but man oh man do they make a HUGE mess, leaves fall everywhere, constantly, you just can't stop them and they are small leaves that fly through the air, not a nice tree to have at all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Other side of the screen!
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked
    870
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Would you believe, I was about to come on and strongly suggest and sing the praises of the Poinciana and then noticed you were asking after it anyway! In Brisbane we had the most divine and huge Poinciana tree, it was leafy, but not too dark or shady, had thick and strong enough branches enough to climb and/or build a tree house in it, when it flowered the flowers were very vibrant red and it wasn't at all messy like a Jacaranda tree can be.

    In regards to pipes etc, don't plant Umbrella plants, they are shocking and wreak havoc on your pipes. In fact, (don't quote me on it) but I am pretty sure they're now illegal to plant because of pipes.

    I would go with Poinciana .
    You can get plants that have the umbrella look but that don't have invasive root systems ... it's just about getting them to grow into the shape you want them in

    Jacaranda can be messy when it loses it's flowers.. I like poncienna better, but loveee the purple in the Jacaranda haha.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Other side of the screen!
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked
    870
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Oh, and AVOID Leopard trees like the plague!! They're everywhere in Brisvegas, but man oh man do they make a HUGE mess, leaves fall everywhere, constantly, you just can't stop them and they are small leaves that fly through the air, not a nice tree to have at all.
    agree x 100

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10,945
    Thanks
    2,614
    Thanked
    2,866
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I know the types of trees you're talking about P T H, in terms of planting in an umbrella shape etc), but I was specifically talking about the actual 'Umbrella tree', that's it's name. It's the one with branches and leaves that look like an umbrella.

    Eta: This one: (Schefflera Actinophylla) and it says it's 'not declared a pest plant under QLD legislation, but may be declared under local government law) however in south east Qld it causes harm to local ecosystems flora and fauna, roots can pressurise building foundations and block plumbing joints and pipes.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 20-01-2012 at 19:50. Reason: eta

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,757
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked
    435
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippy the Hippo View Post
    Can I get back to you soon....? I'll have to go outside and look at what I have there are a few fast growers I have that dont lose their leaves.

    You want to avoid things like figs, weeping willows, oaks etc as they all have extremely invasive root systems that will wreck your pipes and also can get into council sewers etc.. So bad....!

    What kind do you like...? Big and shady umbrella types? Glossy leaves or anything in particular?
    I was really keen on this tree that I saw in the park, which had kind of small glossy leaves, and was quite a big tree, but I showed the nursery guy a photo and he told me it was some sort of fig and would kill my pipes.
    I quite like the shape of a Poinciana. DH is keen on a native.

    Are poinciana's slow growing?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-11-2012, 20:36
  2. Do you have a backyard?
    By OurLittleBlessing in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 17-02-2012, 09:23
  3. Show off your tree!
    By TripleTime in forum Seasonal
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 18-12-2011, 23:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
henry and grace
Summer Cool. We are the only brand in the world to use ultrafine Merino wool to produce the finest, softest & most luxurious garments whilst keeping mum and bub cool and dry. Wear them multiple times before machine washing-hard to believe, but true.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!