+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to extend catnaps?

DS is nearly 4.5mths and like a lot of other bubs mentioned on here, catnaps during the day for 40-45mins each time.

Sometimes he can self settle for one of the sleeps and goes about 1.5hrs, but not every day and it's only ever 1 sleep.

I'd really like to try and help him learn how yo extend his sleeps, so instead of 4-5 catnaps, he can have 3 decent sleeps each day. Is this possible? Or do they learn this on their own soon anyway?

Any tips on how to do this? I've tried popping dummy back in when he wakes, but doesn't work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing, I'd love to hear any ideas. My 3 month old does the same! Even if she self settles. The only times I can get her to an h our and a half is if she sleeps on me, in the hug a bub, or if I rock her to sleep and then rock her again around the 40 min mark

One thing I've read OP is that you do it (rock, pat etc) before they wake up, so before the end of the sleep cycle. So maybe before he's due to wake up, pop the dummy in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub (5 months) was doing the catnap thing, and would sometimes have 1 sleep a day that was 1.5 to 2 hours. I went and saw a CHN the other day and she told me DD looked overtired and to watch very carefully for tired signs and don't watch the clock. SO the last few days I've been putting her down sometime within the hour from when she had woken up, and she has been having 3 x about 2hr sleeps each day. We also changed from feeding (bf) 3 hourly to 4 hourly, and started some solids.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost 10 week old DD is the same. Rarely sleeps more than45 mins each nap during day. But brilliant overnight (8.15-6 with 1 feed last night). Subscribing for ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    dd did that until about 4months and she sort of sorted herself out.

The important thing I found was to start to look for tired signs after she had been up for between an hour and 1.5hrs and put her down.

Always made sure she was fed, clean bum and tried settling her after 1.5hrs awake time.

Oh And if she woke after 45mins I would try to resettle, pop dummy back in. And as long as she wasn't crying or distressed I would leave her in her bassinet and she would usually resettle. If she didn't after 30 minutes then I would get her back up.
    Last edited by kel87; 15-01-2012 at 12:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kel87 View Post
    dd did that until about 4months and she sort of sorted herself out.

The important thing I found was to start to look for tired signs after she had been up for between an hour and 1.5hrs and put her down.

Always made sure she was fed, clean bum and tried settling her after 1.5hrs awake time.

Oh And if she woke after 45mins I would try to resettle, pop dummy back in. And as long as she wasn't crying or distressed I would leave her in her bassinet and she would usually resettle. If she didn't after 30 minutes then I would get her back up.
    Thanks So DS is pretty good at giving me tired signs and is usually up for about 1.5hrs now (sometimes 2hrs). He settles very well and fast when I put him down, it's just the waking after 45mins each time.

He doesn't wake up grumpy either I have to say, so it's not like we are having bad days. But it would just be a lot easier if he started having fewer, but longer naps. At the moment it's hard to go anywhere or do anything around the house because he is awake/asleep so frequently if that makes sense.

When you leave your LO in her bassinet after she wakes, does she go back to sleep after awhile? I find that my DS is wide awake and chats away, so I just get him up! Maybe I should leave him there longer??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't help I was never able to extend my DS's naps. He eventually started sleeping longer at 6-7 months at which time he switched to two sleeps. In hindsight, I was probably missing tired signs early days. I used the opportunity to go out a lot as he would sleep in the pram back then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD does appear wide awake and chats back to me when I go in there to put her dummy in! I usually go in and out up to 10 times. I don't ever leave her if she is upset or crying. But I do try and get her to resettle for up to 30 minutes. If she's still awake then I get her out. Sometimes it takes about 15 minutes but she generally goes back off. She occasionally fills her nappy mid sleep so I change it and try and get her back to sleep!

Also each of bubs sleep cycles are around 40-45 minutes. If you get to him before he wakes and pat, replace dummy, soothe how you like etc then he might just fall back in to another sleep cycle. They say once they get the hang of that then it will happen for most of their day sleeps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kel87 For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (15-01-2012)

FearlessLeader is online now Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i highly recommend Jo Ryan's Babybliss. Borrow it from your library. Saved my sanity when DS was catnapping at that age. It took about 2 weeks of really working hard on the technique (which is to basically rock/pat them for the length of time they're 'meant' to be asleep, so if they wake after 30 mins you could be up for an hour of patting) before we saw huge improvements. By about 7 months I had a bub who slept 2x2 hour naps without a peep. Would get excited when he knew it was bedtime. Ah, i still can't believe the change and he's 2 now!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    i highly recommend Jo Ryan's Babybliss. Borrow it from your library. Saved my sanity when DS was catnapping at that age. It took about 2 weeks of really working hard on the technique (which is to basically rock/pat them for the length of time they're 'meant' to be asleep, so if they wake after 30 mins you could be up for an hour of patting) before we saw huge improvements. By about 7 months I had a bub who slept 2x2 hour naps without a peep. Would get excited when he knew it was bedtime. Ah, i still can't believe the change and he's 2 now!
    Thank-you I've just ordered that book but will take a few weeks to arrive.

I tried the suggestion today of trying to resettle just as he was waking....didn't work, lol! Once he woke he did his usual big stretch and started chatting  I left him be for awhile but he ended up getting bored and cried out for me. I don't believe in letting a bub this young cry it out, so had to grab him!

Any other ideas while I'm waiting on this book? Thanks in advance.