+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I plan on getting my boobs done, before the time im 30, im not happy with how they are after breastfeeding two kids, it would be for me and thats t

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Maybe read back through my post.... the parts where I said it's anyone's choice... and where I expressed a view that 'some surgeries are understandable and even necessary'.....

Not sure why you got so personally offended... I have a right to my opinions on this topic just as much as you and your buddies on here.
    LOL! That's great. So can I = D
    Last edited by SugarSkull; 25-03-2012 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not trying to offend anyone (and I know that's a dangerous way to start a sentence), but I'm really surprised by how many people on here are pro-cosmetic surgery.

I tend to think of BH as skewing toward 'natural' everything. There are a lot of people on here who are VERY anti c-section, and will say things like "I would NEVER have 'major abdominal surgery'" - but seem to be okay with cosmetic surgery.

I guess I don't really get it, as I am kind of the opposite way around. I see no problem with c-sections (and had one for DD), but can't imagine electing for surgery for cosmetic reasons.

I'm not saying I think it's wrong for anyone else to do it. I'm just confused by what seems like a contradiction to me - that some people (I know this isn't everyone) are so 'natural everything' when it comes to having a baby, but not when it comes to their own bodies for cosmetic reasons.

Hope that's not derailing too much, and I'll repeat - no insult is intended. I'm obviously just not 'getting' something!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it depends on what kind of surgery the person is getting and why they're getting it. I don't think I'd ever get lipo or a tummy tuck but then again, I can't say that because I've always been petite and I don't know it feels to be them... If that makes sense.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've not had "cosmetic" surgery, but I've certainly had "elective" surgery.

I had weight loss surgery, which is not exactly cosmetic, but it certainly does improve the appearance of me... so I guess I can't really tsk tsk anyone that goes and gets fake tits put in because my surgery has kinda done the same thing for me (well, not boobs... lol... but it changed my appearance, though not immediately).

I could not live with being fat. My heart was saying I could not live with being fat... it was about getting ready to give me a heart attack or stroke thanks to my high BP... but I also just didn't like being fat. I suppose it must feel similar for people who just can't live with having whatever specific flaw they feel they have. Maybe they hate having less than could fill an A-cup... maybe they are sick of their sticky-outy ears... maybe they can't stand that despite all their efforts, they've got a tummy full of loose, sagging skin.

I think that if someone has the balls to get surgery to do something that makes them feel good about themselves, then great.

This, however, does not apply to women (or men) who get MULTIPLE surgeries... because I really feel that they'd do much better with mental health care rather than surgeries. Someone like Heidi Montag, who had god knows how many things done to her in a matter of hours... poor thing. I think she's seriously screwed in the head if she thought she needed all of that done, and her money would have been better spent on a pyschologist.

But in general, if you're happy apart from one little thing that surgery can ammend... then why not? Of course, I think it's always better to love yourself as you naturally are, rather than getting rid of your physical quirks... but if that's not working for you, then why not?

I know that if after this weight loss I lost all my boobs, I'd go get some fake ones put in to replace what I had lost. Luckily mine are still fairly full... but I'd not know myself without a decent pair of boobs on my chest and there's no way I would live without them willingly. I might consider some sort of tummy tuck (and body lift etc) when I'm at a weight I'm totally happy to maintain... and after I'm done having children... but right now, even though parts of me are saggy, I don't really care too much.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would loooooove a breast lift. But I would NEVER pay 10 grand for it. I'd feel guilty for the rest of my life looking at my perky boobs while children starve in other parts of the world.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    I was teased about my nose for years. I did everything to feel better about myself and nothing worked. I never went to a crowded restaurant, I had my hand up to my face when I spoke to people, I'd have an anxiety attack when going shopping or if somebody even looked at me. I wanted to avoid hearing a comment about how big or crooked my nose was.
    I had people telling me that I was beautiful and that it "suited" my face..because a huge, crooked nose was apparently perfect for my face.
    I'm a very strong person as well. I've been through hell and back and I don't take **** from anyone, but when it came to my nose, I'd melt away and turn into a little girl.
    There were times I felt guilty about having it done but now that I have had it done and I know what "normal" people feel like when they go out, I should have done it sooner.
    If that makes me vain, so be it.
    I'm really glad your surgery has been such a success for you, and has helped you to feel so much more at ease about yourself

I am really deeply annoyed though that almost exclusively women are targeted by mass media and by society at large about their looks, to the point where their self esteem is affected. Men really do not have to cope with this hardly at all, and you see it especially with female politicians, their looks, fashion sense, sexual orientation, family life etc are so closely scrutinised and criticised, yet male pollys suffer a fraction of this crap.

I really find our deeply mysoginist society very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post
    I'm glad you have found your procedure helpful, Dark Cherry.

More generally, i do believe that we women wouldn't feel the need to look a certain way be it not for society via the media.

Some people benefit from having one thing corrected, like Dark Cherry's experience. It may actually help with confidence, and possibly in a long term way. But for some i worry that, once that can of worms opens, where do you stop? There may always be something that needs fixing until we are able to fully accept ourselves as we are.

I was bullied and rejected for my appearance throughout my childhood. I used to have nil self esteem and I continue to work on not being so socially anxious and avoidant as a result. And I could come up with a huge list of things that I 'should' fix about my appearance to conform to society's idea of how a woman should look, but I try not to go there. I am blessed with a DH who accepts all of my imperfections, which helps. It was his idea for me to let my hair go grey naturally! He thinks it's sexy, confident and intelligent-looking (esp with my glasses). I had been 'taught' something very different!

And despite his support (or maybe because of it) i have come to realise that true self esteem comes from within, not how other people perceive how we look, because it's impossible to completely measure up to society's ideal (and we often have a distorted view of what others think).

Please understand that I'm honestly not saying this to offend anyone, and i can totally relate to thoughts of being self conscious of certain body parts (i've had my appearance corrected before, see my prev post... And I am still self conscious about my 'flaws'), but I just feel really sad and angry that we women have so much pressure to look a certain way in order to feel 'happy' and to accept ourselves. And interestingly, most of this pressure comes from other women. (eg my DH prefers women to go grey naturally... Women find it harder to accept). Perhaps that's why I wanted to add a different view to this thread.
    I totally get what you are saying, how great you have a realistic partner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I'm not trying to offend anyone (and I know that's a dangerous way to start a sentence), but I'm really surprised by how many people on here are pro-cosmetic surgery.

I tend to think of BH as skewing toward 'natural' everything. There are a lot of people on here who are VERY anti c-section, and will say things like "I would NEVER have 'major abdominal surgery'" - but seem to be okay with cosmetic surgery.

I guess I don't really get it, as I am kind of the opposite way around. I see no problem with c-sections (and had one for DD), but can't imagine electing for surgery for cosmetic reasons.

I'm not saying I think it's wrong for anyone else to do it. I'm just confused by what seems like a contradiction to me - that some people (I know this isn't everyone) are so 'natural everything' when it comes to having a baby, but not when it comes to their own bodies for cosmetic reasons.

Hope that's not derailing too much, and I'll repeat - no insult is intended. I'm obviously just not 'getting' something!
    I'm also really surprised!! I'm anti surgery unless it is medically necessary (for myself, everyone is totally entitled to do whatever they want with their own bodies), however, I am happy with the way I look, so I guess it's easy for me to say.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 25-03-2012 at 16:12.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (25-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

I'm generally very "naturally minded", but I also like to take care of myself as much as possible, and this extends to my psychological wellbeing. It's difficult to explain the psychological impact that a particular body issue can have upon someone who has not experienced it (not just "Oh I hate my butt", but to the point where you sometimes fear stepping out in public, or when you think about it more often than not, or when the issue has eaten away at you for most or all of your adult life). I'm willing to take surgical steps to nurture both my physical and mental self, particularly if other attempts to rectify it have failed (i.e.: counselling).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm generally very "naturally minded", but I also like to take care of myself as much as possible, and this extends to my psychological wellbeing. It's difficult to explain the psychological impact that a particular body issue can have upon someone who has not experienced it (not just "Oh I hate my butt", but to the point where you sometimes fear stepping out in public, or when you think about it more often than not, or when the issue has eaten away at you for most or all of your adult life). I'm willing to take surgical steps to nurture both my physical and mental self, particularly if other attempts to rectify it have failed (i.e.: counselling).
    That does make sense. And I appreciate that saying 'it's just for cosmetic reasons' can diminish the psychological problems someone may be facing based on that issue.

My lack of understanding was more for those who were (sometimes quite vociferously) against c-sections/ birth interventions, but were pro-surgery.

I'm not thinking of any one person in particular. However, as someone who has had a c-section, I see a lot of people on BH expressing strong anti c-section sentiments - often based on the fact that it is surgery.

It just struck me as a little strange - and perhaps that's where I'm not understanding - that people could be so anti c-section, yet pro surgery for cosmetic reasons.

Often the c-sections are for medical or psychological reasons, but sometimes people still argue that those reasons are not valid (or not valid 'enough' to warrant the dreaded c-section), whereas I would have thought that if someone was pro-choice/ understanding when it came to cosmetic surgery, then the same might apply for birth choices.

Sorry - not trying to turn this into something about c-sections!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    I am actually totally shocked at how many posters on here are keen or have already had stuff done, and major stuff!

Next time I get called yummy mummy I'll feel heaps good knowing it's all natu-rall and not fake like (apparently) is so common now!! ) and I don't even have big boobs, they're tiny! :0
    See I hear this a lot. But the funny thing about it is these people have no issue having their hair coloured, having fake nails, painting nails, wearing makeup, getting a fake tan, shaving etc. you are still altering your body out of its natural state.
    So to me personally there is no difference between say having a tattoo or getting Botox. It's all about altering or marking your body to what makes you happy.

To me a happy woman is what is most important because really none of us are the way nature intended us to be.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

FutureMa  (25-03-2012),KillerHeels  (25-03-2012),SugarSkull  (25-03-2012)