+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    I am actually totally shocked at how many posters on here are keen or have already had stuff done, and major stuff!

Next time I get called yummy mummy I'll feel heaps good knowing it's all natu-rall and not fake like (apparently) is so common now!! ) and I don't even have big boobs, they're tiny! :0
    Bahahaha whatever floats your boat. As long as it makes someone feel good, then that's all that matters.
    Fake, real, if you're unhappy with something and have the money to fix it, why not.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (25-03-2012),missymoo9  (25-03-2012),Ngaiz  (23-03-2014),VintageLover  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had braces as a kid and had saline injections for veins in my legs at about 21 yrs old. Veins have come back big time and I think about having them done again, but i'm preferring to work on accepting myself instead, including my physical imperfections. Stopped dying my hair recently for the same reason. First time for 15 years! It's challenging, i didn't realise how grey i am (!!), but worth it, IMO.

I wouldn't do anything more invasive unless I was disfigured in an accident or due to illness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCherry View Post
    Bahahaha whatever floats your boat. As long as it makes someone feel good, then that's all that matters.
    Fake, real, if you're unhappy with something and have the money to fix it, why not.
    Agreed!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VintageLover For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure, go for it it's a personal choice...

But there are plenty of other ways to feel better about yourself too.

I do feel the media is responsible for the fact people want to strive to look 'better ' with cosmetic surgery these days though....

I don't know, I look at my son and he looks perfect in every way and always will be in my mind.

Some surgeries are totally understandable and even necessary, but many are ridiculous and vain in the extreme, and it shows, that's all.

Thanks
    Reviews

I do feel the media is responsible for the fact people want to strive to look 'better ' with cosmetic surgery these days though....

I don't know, I look at my son and he looks perfect in every way and always will be in my mind.

Some surgeries are totally understandable and even necessary, but many are ridiculous and vain in the extreme, and it shows, that's all.
    They are extreme and unnecessary to some but not to others. For some there are other ways to make themselves feel better but for others not. For some surgery is the only thing that helps confidence. I don't put it down to media i put it down to how the individual feels about themselves. I want to look and feel the best i can for me not because the media says i should. I work out im happy with my entire body just not my b00bs ... im not down about it, it doesn't ruin my life but if i could afford to get them done why not!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by KillerHeels; 25-03-2012 at 09:45.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-03-2012),SugarSkull  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was teased about my nose for years. I did everything to feel better about myself and nothing worked. I never went to a crowded restaurant, I had my hand up to my face when I spoke to people, I'd have an anxiety attack when going shopping or if somebody even looked at me. I wanted to avoid hearing a comment about how big or crooked my nose was.
    I had people telling me that I was beautiful and that it "suited" my face..because a huge, crooked nose was apparently perfect for my face.
    I'm a very strong person as well. I've been through hell and back and I don't take **** from anyone, but when it came to my nose, I'd melt away and turn into a little girl.
    There were times I felt guilty about having it done but now that I have had it done and I know what "normal" people feel like when they go out, I should have done it sooner.
    If that makes me vain, so be it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

FutureMa  (25-03-2012),KillerHeels  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was teased about my nose for years. I did everything to feel better about myself and nothing worked. I never went to a crowded restaurant, I had my hand up to my face when I spoke to people, I'd have an anxiety attack when going shopping or if somebody even looked at me. I wanted to avoid hearing a comment about how big or crooked my nose was.
    I had people telling me that I was beautiful and that it "suited" my face..because a huge, crooked nose was apparently perfect for my face.
    I'm a very strong person as well. I've been through hell and back and I don't take **** from anyone, but when it came to my nose, I'd melt away and turn into a little girl.
    There were times I felt guilty about having it done but now that I have had it done and I know what "normal" people feel like when they go out, I should have done it sooner.
    good for you honey! you are stunning! you must have a new lease of life now x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wantstobeamommy View Post
    good for you honey! you are stunning! you must have a new lease of life now x

Thank you = ) I really do. I'm finally able to enjoy the small things like having a conversation with a stranger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad you have found your procedure helpful, Dark Cherry.

More generally, i do believe that we women wouldn't feel the need to look a certain way be it not for society via the media.

Some people benefit from having one thing corrected, like Dark Cherry's experience. It may actually help with confidence, and possibly in a long term way. But for some i worry that, once that can of worms opens, where do you stop? There may always be something that needs fixing until we are able to fully accept ourselves as we are.

I was bullied and rejected for my appearance throughout my childhood. I used to have nil self esteem and I continue to work on not being so socially anxious and avoidant as a result. And I could come up with a huge list of things that I 'should' fix about my appearance to conform to society's idea of how a woman should look, but I try not to go there. I am blessed with a DH who accepts all of my imperfections, which helps. It was his idea for me to let my hair go grey naturally! He thinks it's sexy, confident and intelligent-looking (esp with my glasses). I had been 'taught' something very different!

And despite his support (or maybe because of it) i have come to realise that true self esteem comes from within, not how other people perceive how we look, because it's impossible to completely measure up to society's ideal (and we often have a distorted view of what others think).

Please understand that I'm honestly not saying this to offend anyone, and i can totally relate to thoughts of being self conscious of certain body parts (i've had my appearance corrected before, see my prev post... And I am still self conscious about my 'flaws'), but I just feel really sad and angry that we women have so much pressure to look a certain way in order to feel 'happy' and to accept ourselves. And interestingly, most of this pressure comes from other women. (eg my DH prefers women to go grey naturally... Women find it harder to accept). Perhaps that's why I wanted to add a different view to this thread.
    Last edited by ABigDeepBreath; 25-03-2012 at 10:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe read back through my post.... the parts where I said it's anyone's choice... and where I expressed a view that 'some surgeries are understandable and even necessary'.....

Not sure why you got so personally offended... I have a right to my opinions on this topic just as much as you and your buddies on here.