+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default advice au pair america?

is it wrong that I am considering taking this year off Uni and going and being an au pair in America? is it honestly something that I have considered for year but didn't wanna defer Uni but now I'm in the mindset why not? when am
    I ever going to get to do this again? once I finish my last year of Uni I will hopefully be into work and then probably won't ever get the chance to do something like this

what are your thoughts? am
    I crazy?

has anyone ever done it. I have found 2 good companies online that are respectable companies but I need to be 100% before I apply as it's a application fee price

help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Would you have the opportunity to travel around and see a bit of the country? If yes, I say do it! Travel is always fun and you may not get another chance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It I's a big decision but one u may regret later on I'n life when this isn't a possibility anymore.
    I'm Childcare trained and wouldve loved to of done this. But instead I settled with having children and
    Getting married. Don't get me
    Wrong I love my life and my
    Family but I really wish I had travelled first. I havnt been out of oz once and I'm only 23!!!
    I say go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A friend of mine did it and love it! She was a live in nanny for a family in Florida, to twin girls. She ended up staying for 2.5 years.

I say go for it. If you don't want to commit to a whole year off, perhaps you can do a US summer camp in summer holidays next year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Would you have the opportunity to travel around and see a bit of the country? If yes, I say do it! Travel is always fun and you may not get another chance!
    yeah there 2 weeks to amonth at the end of year to travel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    A friend of mine did it and love it! She was a live in nanny for a family in Florida, to twin girls. She ended up staying for 2.5 years.

I say go for it. If you don't want to commit to a whole year off, perhaps you can do a US summer camp in summer holidays next year?
    yeah that's how I first started researching for the summer camps and found our it was June for 9 weeks which means I would need to defer second semester so I figured why not do a while year haha however I'm not sure if I'm too late for the cut off to go this year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerayofsunshine View Post
    It I's a big decision but one u may regret later on I'n life when this isn't a possibility anymore.
    I'm Childcare trained and wouldve loved to of done this. But instead I settled with having children and
    Getting married. Don't get me
    Wrong I love my life and my
    Family but I really wish I had travelled first. I havnt been out of oz once and I'm only 23!!!
    I say go for it
    that's my reasoning too!! once I finih Uni an are in a full time
    job it's going to be harder to ever do it again I'm so torn haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do it!! I spent 12 months as au pair in finland and 2 years as a nanny in the uk, best experience ever! Came home and then got a career, married, house etc but don't ever regret the 3 years I spent overseas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't do it!!! If you want to take a year off, or go to another country for a year, do a student exchange or just work and travel in another country.

It is nothing like babysitting or being a nanny here in Australia and you would need to have a good amount of savings to be there and be able to do anything or travel, because you get paid nothing for a lot of work. It's not a bad experience overall, but to be honest, being a student, or working in jobs you choose and can leave after a time when you are bored or take weeks off here and there... it is a much better experience if you really want a year off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say do it! I worked as an au pair in New York for 14 months and can't speak highly enough of my experiences while living up there...

While living as an Au Pair, you get paid to do so (the family pay just as much to get you), you live in their house and drive their cars ....

I felt like that the family I lived and worked for truely became my family. I miss them something chronic. I've been back in Australia for 7 years now, and I'll be heading back there for a fortnight next January as we have been invited for the little girls Bat Mitzvah (the family are non religious Jewish) which I am soooooo excited about because I finally get the chance to introduce my family to my American family.