+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MMelissa View Post
    I just moved to the Bowen Basin. The company owns most of our town and we pay $30 a week rent for a 3-bed house (that is not a misprint). I work in contracts and my hubby has just started underground. We LOVE it here!!

If your DH does a 7/7 roster and you live in a nearby town he will come home after his shifts.
    Oh wow Melissa, $30! Thats soooo cheap! Do you mind me asking where, or what company your hubby works for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    OP, is Queensland a must? Just thinking there are so many opportunities closer to home at Olympic Dam and it is residential. We live there

Rent is around $500 for a 3 bed house but if he was to get a company house then the rent is more like $580 a month.

I couldn't deal with DF doing FIFO. Plus I also work at the mine and I get paid WAY more than I could elsewhere so it makes sense for us to be residential.
    No QLD isnt a must at all. I would happily stay in SA, roxby downs sounds like a nice place to live, I just havent come accross as many diesel fitter positions there as there are in QLD. if you know of a companys that I could send hubbys resume to, that would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    AFH, I know quite a few people who have passed through Mount Isa at some point in their mining career and none of them are poisoned either

A lot of people think the same about here with the Uranium - my DF works under ground and I work very close to where the uranium is processed - neither of our babies have been born with two heads

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some companies to apply to for diesel fitters are ODT Australis, Monadelphous and Workpac.

Workpac are the main labour hire company for BHP so getting an "in" to backfill a BHP position in a mobile fleet crew is a good way to go.

There will be plenty of jobs soon with the expansion coming up! A lot of companies are ramping up now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Corestaff do the hiring up here but majority of the time if you get in through Corestaff you're only on 53,000-57,000 even underground for the first 3-6 mths then it goes up to about 90,000 then increases by a certain percent each year. I wreckon your best bet is to get on through the mine directly, my husband got on directly with the mine (was contracting through a local company out there first for about 6 months) then he was offered a contract of over $100,000 starting wage - the reason it's so small through the agencies who employ for the mines (not sure if all of them do this though) is that the small wage for 6 mths is your "probation" period an the mines have to pay the employment company for that period. Whilst you still have a 3 mth probation period with the mines your pay does not usually suffer as badly because they don't have to pay the employment agency

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Downer EDI. Too =o)

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in Glenden and Tieri near Emerald has the same reduced rent with Xstrata. I hear Middlemount has $40 per week housing through Anglo too. Rent subsidies are out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in Tieri and pay $15.50 per week rent and its great out here. The town is well maintained, lots of community events and hubby is home everyday. Some of the Emerald mines offer a % towards rent or buying a house in town

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are a few closed mining towns in WA that offer free rent and utilities

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app