+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsfromheaven View Post
    Hooooly heck! Yeah we only pay $500 a week hubby wage is great, he works underground in metaliferous so it's alot safer than underground with coal. I don't think I'd like to pay that much to live in blackwater, mind you blackwater is alot closer to everything than out here , and coal does pay better than metaliferous.
    I wish I could convince hubby to go underground
    Coal does pay very well but even still it's not enough to pay those inflated rents - they want families to move to these towns but they make it impossible! Only 12 months ago you could get a house in Moranbah for $600 but now it's gone back up to pre GFC prices Our only hope at this stage is that DH will get a role with housing (we've been trying to move for over 3 years but he's only an operator and there is always a list a mile long for housing if your not high enough up).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cupcake85 For This Useful Post:

angelsfromheaven  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake85 View Post
    I wish I could convince hubby to go underground
    Coal does pay very well but even still it's not enough to pay those inflated rents - they want families to move to these towns but they make it impossible! Only 12 months ago you could get a house in Moranbah for $600 but now it's gone back up to pre GFC prices Our only hope at this stage is that DH will get a role with housing (we've been trying to move for over 3 years but he's only an operator and there is always a list a mile long for housing if your not high enough up).
    I can see why so many families do FiFO for coal mining! God!

My husband could work in coal of he wanted to but I don't want to go back to FIFO I love having my family together I think it comes down o the families personal preference really, which is why we moved out here. Hubby loves his job underground and starts a supervisors role soon! Eeek! So exiting! And there is sooooo much work out here other than mining! It's unreal! My husband literally walked into a shop asked for work when we were on holiday and started the next day! Lol there's signs out the front of all the businesses here for workers. It's crazy!

But to buy a home like ours back near the coast on 5 acres we would be looking at spending $500,000+ so we may not be buying on acerage up here but we'll see later.

I was ok with my DH working FiFO but my kids weren't nor was my husband he got severely depressed so we all moved go the better now

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just moved to the Bowen Basin. The company owns most of our town and we pay $30 a week rent for a 3-bed house (that is not a misprint). I work in contracts and my hubby has just started underground. We LOVE it here!!

If your DH does a 7/7 roster and you live in a nearby town he will come home after his shifts.
    Last edited by MMelissa; 15-01-2012 at 17:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there any work for people who have no experience? My hubby is a butcher but not good job security where he works so wants to work in the mine for the security and training in something different, doing anything that pays the same as he is on now (which isn't much!) but we just don't know how to get him into it.
    If anyone has any ideas that will help I would be very grateful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quick hint: if you can get him on with local contractors first they will usually pay for all his inductions and generics medicals etc, and the $$ is very good through a contracting company to the mines but also alot more work than the rostered work from the mines. I'll message you tonight, my DH tried for years and could not get in until he lost his job during the economic downturn 2 yr ago, had no choice but to move and he got work! There's so much work up here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and here's a thought my husband works underground with a qualified chef! Lol!!!

So yes you an definitely get in with no experience! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks AFH I think we would even consider moving. My mum and dad are In the process of getting a visa to live here and dad is a diesel fitter AO we could all live together. And I am a nurse so as long as there is a job in the area I could get a job any where! I look forward to your message later and sorry OP for hijacking your post!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    True, it must differ depending on where you are.... where DP is, a fairly average 3-bedroom house (not new or particularly nice) goes for about $900-$1200 a week. lol. Stuff paying that really... (That's in Blackwater).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, is Queensland a must? Just thinking there are so many opportunities closer to home at Olympic Dam and it is residential. We live there

Rent is around $500 for a 3 bed house but if he was to get a company house then the rent is more like $580 a month.

I couldn't deal with DF doing FIFO. Plus I also work at the mine and I get paid WAY more than I could elsewhere so it makes sense for us to be residential.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I'll tell everybody now we live in Mount Isa and we live it here! Takes a bit of getting used to it - VERY different from SE QLD where where from, slower paced life, and once you get last the shock factor of the "ho-Bo's" so to speak about the place it is honestly a great place to live! Some people would say that it's not healthy to live here from the lead smelter in town, of you have asthma or any respitory conditions it's not advisable to live here - its not as bad as everyone makes out the media and word of mouth - they have to monitor he lead levels being released Into the atmosphere everyday NO wORD OF A LIE, and once it gets close to that high margin they shut down the smelters. Or if it starts to drift over town they also shut down the smelters. My DS has asthma and he has not yet had a problem up here they have to be very strict on measuring their lead pollution into the atmosphere, the ground here is naturally high in lead so kids can't really play in the dirt iykwim or if they've been outside playing you make them wash their hand when coming indoors always wipe down dusty surfaces as it can be a build up of lead dust, TBH I dont think I know of anyone whose had high lead levels here or lead poisoning, apart from People DH works with underground but they are in the lead dust, they wear proper safety respitory gear and must shower straight after obviously but if thy do manage to get high lead levels which they're constantly tested for they get a week off work paid, for their levels to go back down or however long is needed paid. My hubby had been working u/g at the mine here for over 12 months now and has never had high levels of lead...

But there's great schools here, the hospitals getting a big upgrade there's great doctors and GPs here and you have what you need iykwim there's a Kmart Coles iga 2 woolies, BCF bunnings heaps of pubs and good restaurants. The people here are so lovely I can never see myself going back to SE QLD now the kids are so happy DD loves her private school, and I'm just glad I have my DH back and family how it's meant to be

12. The Following User Says Thank You to angelsfromheaven For This Useful Post:

Hannahly  (15-01-2012)