+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElastiGirl View Post
    As long as they don't get sucked off in the middle of the night and then wedged down her throat I think your going to be ok.

hahahhahaha!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 8 month old son has sucked his 2 middle fingers since birth as well some days it's all day. Im not concerned at all I think they will grow out of it eventually my second child was a dummy lover and let's just say thankgod he never took to one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ElastiGirl View Post
    As long as they don't get sucked off in the middle of the night and then wedged down her throat I think your going to be ok.

My DD1 who is 12 sucked her thumb till she was 10-11. No joke. She has perfect teeth. So that who it messes with their teeth I think is a myth.
    Well she has to lumps on her fingers where she sucks them so hey they might fall off!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure about the middle fingers but I sucked my thumb day and night till I was in my late teens and my teeth are perfectly straight. I have heard docs say to "make them stop" sometime around 4 years though to avoid teeth probs. I wouldn't though.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, my daughter sucked her two middle fingers for about the first five or six years of her life. Her baby teeth came through just fine, but the adult teeth needed minor orthodontic work,(overcrowding) But she has sucked her fingers so much during the growing years, that her hand is deformed. She cant straighten her fingers, and the only way to correct it is with major surgery, and major physio. I would be trying to stop it, or at least limit the time. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi, my daughter sucked her two middle fingers for about the first five or six years of her life. Her baby teeth came through just fine, but the adult teeth needed minor orthodontic work,(overcrowding) But she has sucked her fingers so much during the growing years, that her hand is deformed. She cant straighten her fingers, and the only way to correct it is with major surgery, and major physio. I would be trying to stop it, or at least limit the time. Marie.
    Did she suck them all day or just at night during sleep? My bub just sucks them at night - never thought about the effect on what it can do to her fingers. The problem is how can you stop this at night when they are sleeping I don't think it's possible!
    Sorry to hear this happened to your daughter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumsrulz View Post
    Well she has to lumps on her fingers where she sucks them so hey they might fall off!!
    Lol! My daughter has the lumps too, they're sucking blisters. Other than that her hand/fingers are completely normal.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi mumzrule, she sucked them all day and night. We would tell her stop everythime we saw the fingers in her mouth, and she would take them out, but put them back as soon as we looked away. We tried everything we could. She was one stubborn child. I dont know if the length of time as in hours of the day, would have made a difference. The deformation of her hand was from the number of years she had the hand in that position, two middle fingers in her mouth, and the hand cradleing her chin. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister sucked her two fingers till she was about 6. Thats a long time, but her teeth are perfectly straight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sucked mine until I was about 10 and my teeth are perfectly straight, never had any braces / plates etc. My 5yr old nephew has sucked his since birth... he sucks on his two fingers from one hand and twiddles his hair with the other (I used to twiddle a piece of ribbon my mum sewed onto the end of my teddy).

My sister tried recently to get him to stop but the habit is too strong to the point I don't even think he realises he is doing it. Its just something he needs to grow out of in his own time.