+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sucking two middle fingers ........ Getting worried!!

My 14 month old sucks her two middle fingers to go to sleep and has done so since birth.
    I was worried when she did it back when she was born and the nurse said don't worry about it.
    At 6 months they still said don't worry about it. I tried to give her a dummy but she never took it.
    She is such a good sleeper - as she sucks her fingers!!

However I am getting worried, when will this stop? Is this going to be really bad for her teeth?
    To make things worse a complete stranger at a party last night said to me "you know her sucking her fingers is really bad and it's worse than sucking a thumb and it's going to really push her teeth out"

So now i am freaking out!! Has your child sucked their middle fingers?
    How are there teeth??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD sucks her thumb and DS sucks his middle 2 fingers...I mentioned it to our dentist and he said sucking thumbs was worse than sucking the middle 2 fingers.

I figure they'll grow out of it (DD doesn't suck her thumb anywhere near as much as she did a few months ago) but I also think 'well at least they don't have a dummy where if it falls out in the middle of the night, I have to go and put it back in'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as they don't get sucked off in the middle of the night and then wedged down her throat I think your going to be ok.

My DD1 who is 12 sucked her thumb till she was 10-11. No joke. She has perfect teeth. So that who it messes with their teeth I think is a myth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My nearly three year old has in the last few months taken to sucking her index finger and she never did as a baby, nor had dummies. It's very frustrating, as I watched her today on a see saw and she was holding on with one hand so she could still suck her finger with the other hand!

No amount of telling her to take it out works, as it's purely a comfort thing. I am just hoping she grows out of it sooner rather than later.

mumzrulz, it's a bit annoying when others state the obvious isn't it, because obviously ity would be optimal for teeth if there was no sucking going on, whether that be by fingers, finger, thumb or dummy, they are all detrimental to teeth, but unfortunately such a favoured soother by little ones.

As for teeth, if they suck for a long period of time there will most likely be some pushing and/or protruding of the teeth and/or palate, so that's why ideally it's better to have them not suck anything, but trying to get them to stop (when they haven't initiated it) is very difficult, especially since they can't 'lose' their fingers or thumb and have them thrown in the bin. The fingers/thumb are there at the ready!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is 5 and still sucks her fingers - her teeth are perfect

I had two dummy lovers before her and let's just say that when pregnant with number 4 I hoped he'd take after her rather than his oldest siblings. He turned out to be a thumb sucker, which suited me perfectly! Sooo much easier than dealing with dummies.

I would just ignore everyone tbh

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2yr old DS sucks his pointer finger and has since 4months. He curls it up in his his mouth but we cant work out how it fits.

His top front 4 teeth are beginning to move fowarfs and bottom front two have pushed backwards and angled inwards :-( we are going to the dentist for an opinion soon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    So if their little teeth are moved or pushed by sucking does it mean their second set come through the same?
    I feel helpless as this is one thing out of my control

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sister sucked her thumb until she was 12, her teeth are lovely.
    My son had a dummy, his are fine now at 12 and my 14mth DD loves her thumb but I'm not concerned. I think its beautiful that its so comforting for them.

Genetics are what you need to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to suck my thumb and my teeth are perfect other than over crowding which the dentist has advised is due to the size of my mouth, not that I sucked my thumb

So I wouldn't stress about her teeth.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies she sucks her two middle fingers not her thumb so I hope it doesn't damage her teeth