Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    I'm not really sure how that's in contradiction with what I said?

I said that opiates have the potential to affect the baby's respiration post-birth (especially if they're given quite close to the birth). I didn't say that opiates are totally contra-indicated and they will never be given because of this potential.

The affect of opiates on a newborn's respiration is not a secret, it's a well known medical fact - and is why some newborns require Narcan to be given (ie the antidote to opiates) at birth - usually not from codeine, more likely from morphine or pethadine.

I mentioned it not because I wished to engage in scare tactics - taking it at 32 weeks for a headache has a pretty low potential for it to affect the baby's respiration...none at all, in fact, if the baby's born more than 6 hours after the mum having taken the medication, which one would hope and presume would be the case unless one was being told that the mother was in premature labour - in which case I'd simply suggest talking to the care provider. I mentioned it because everybody has a right to make an informed decision. It *can* cause respiration difficulties in newborn if taken too close to the birth. This is medical fact. Why it raises such a defensive reaction, I'm not sure.
    There was no defensive reaction, I was just pointing out that it is obviously pretty commonly used during labour. Your original post sounded as though it was not particularly safe for labour, the above post by you was a lot clearer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I mentioned it not because I wished to engage in scare tactics - taking it at 32 weeks for a headache has a pretty low potential for it to affect the baby's respiration..
    So why even mention the possible effects in labour in the first place? The OP is asking if it's safe to take at 30 weeks for a cold. A simple "yes it is" would have answered the question much better than a lecture aimed at other responders.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (16-01-2012),cassiet88  (16-01-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (16-01-2012),elleandsam  (16-01-2012),FloatingFairy  (16-01-2012),PuppyGuts  (16-01-2012),ShazieB  (16-01-2012)

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Because simply stating it's safe to take in pregnancy isn't quite true. If I said that - and the OP believed me and didn't check for herself (or another pregnant woman did) then they might very well take it at the onset of labour to help with contraction pain - which has potential other side effects. So I listed them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Because simply stating it's safe to take in pregnancy isn't quite true. If I said that - and the OP believed me and didn't check for herself (or another pregnant woman did) then they might very well take it at the onset of labour to help with contraction pain - which has potential other side effects. So I listed them.
    Then why not say it's safe at 30 weeks but has side effects if taken close to or during labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was given it in pre labour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its safe in pregnancy, but be cafeful, i developed an addiction to codeine in late pregnancy which was a hard battle

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are talking about risks to an unborn baby not some random issue with just a standard non-gestational woman who can take the risk so she chooses without looking into it further if she so wishes.

Tam said what she did to basically advise it might be better looking into it further before making a decision based on " Well I had it in pre-labour & I was fine ".

Sorta like the smokers who say " well I smoked 10 packets a day & didn't get cancer !!! ".
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 16-01-2012 at 11:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Apparently it is fine to take, but I am always wary of it. It is codeine afterall. I refused any painkillers after my cesarean because I was BFing and couldn't stant the thought of tramadol and oxycodeine making its way into the baby's system and I have not taken any panadol or whatever this whole pregnancy despite developing a severe wisdom tooth infection which was agony.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope your cold goes away op, my advice, speak to a doc, apparently some people on here think that that is what they are but you do what you feel comfortable with. Enjoy your last weeks of pregnancy
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 16-01-2012 at 11:50.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure the OP has worked out now whether she's going to take some medication for her cold by now, so I'm closing this thread. In all cases of questioning medication - please seek the counsel of a doctor or a pharmacist. Thank you to all who contributed in a helpful manner.