Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is fine and considered safe. I have bowel trouble and my OB recommended panadeine as codeine is a binding agent and it better to take than imodium whilst pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShazieB View Post
    I had a major operation while I was pregnant and I was given morphine! I also had chemo and was given panadine forte and the docs assured me it's safe. They often give panadine forte at the beginning of labour so it is safe. I guess if panadol is not really helping, you can try panadine if you choose. Everyone is different and some people would choose to not even take panadol, but I can tell you that it is safe.
    Pandadeine is fine op.
    Shazie, you had chemo while pregnant? I didn't realise they did that... Hope it worked and you are well now

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 16 weeks preg after having a 20cm cyst removed. They did a "half" dose of chemo as they were unsure how it would effect bub as its very rare. We were very lucky, both me and bub, he is now a healthy 2 year old and with the assistance of ivf, I'm pregnant again!

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Both codeine and paracetamol are category A drugs - if you take it in labour it has the potential to have an affect on the bub's respiration post-birth (as does any opiate) and it can also be constipating which can be a concern in pregnancy - however it is not associated with any birth defects of any nature and is well tested.

I wish people wouldn't just give personal opinions about this. If you don't know maybe just don't answer? Fair enough if you wouldn't personally - but that doesn't mean it's not a perfectly safe and valid treatment that somebody else might choose.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 16-01-2012 at 11:51.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

inkognito  (16-01-2012),MrsBeee  (15-01-2012),Opaque  (14-01-2012),squirrelex  (15-01-2012),Von Zipper  (15-01-2012),Witwicky  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been told it's safe during pregnancy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CypKitty For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    Both codeine and paracetamol are category A drugs - if you take it in labour it has the potential to have an affect on the bub's respiration post-birth (as does any opiate) and it can also be constipating which can be a concern in pregnancy - however it is not associated with any birth defects of any nature and is well tested.

I wish people wouldn't just give personal opinions about this. If you don't know maybe just don't answer? Fair enough if you wouldn't personally - but that doesn't mean it's not a perfectly safe and valid treatment that somebody else might choose. Scare tactics are not cool.
    I know a lot of ladies who have been given panadine forte during early labour by the midwives, including myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know a lot of ladies who have been given panadine forte during early labour by the midwives, including myself.
    Me too, but they knew I had a loooonnngggg way to go and it was well and truly out of both our systems before he was born!

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    I'm not really sure how that's in contradiction with what I said?

I said that opiates have the potential to affect the baby's respiration post-birth (especially if they're given quite close to the birth). I didn't say that opiates are totally contra-indicated and they will never be given because of this potential.

The affect of opiates on a newborn's respiration is not a secret, it's a well known medical fact - and is why some newborns require Narcan to be given (ie the antidote to opiates) at birth - usually not from codeine, more likely from morphine or pethadine.

I mentioned it not because I wished to engage in scare tactics - taking it at 32 weeks for a headache has a pretty low potential for it to affect the baby's respiration...none at all, in fact, if the baby's born more than 6 hours after the mum having taken the medication, which one would hope and presume would be the case unless one was being told that the mother was in premature labour - in which case I'd simply suggest talking to the care provider. I mentioned it because everybody has a right to make an informed decision. It *can* cause respiration difficulties in newborn if taken too close to the birth. This is medical fact. Why it raises such a defensive reaction, I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was given panadeine forte in my last trimester with my 3rd for a bad sinus infection. Pescribed by my midwife

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 16 weeks preg after having a 20cm cyst removed. They did a "half" dose of chemo as they were unsure how it would effect bub as its very rare. We were very lucky, both me and bub, he is now a healthy 2 year old and with the assistance of ivf, I'm pregnant again!
    That's great to hear! Congratulations on your recovery and babies

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (16-01-2012),ShazieB  (15-01-2012)