Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well then you understand that negative generalisations about people with MI and why they don't get better (as opposed to why smokers don't give up bc such and such did) are unhelpful and hurtful... and yes I know some have talked about 'inconsiderate' smokers rather than ALL smokers but there have been a number of generalisations in this thread.
    My posts are in reference to inconsiderate smokers. I don't expect smokers to go cold turkey. My eldest sister is a smoker, and I've seen her attempt to quit dozens of times over the years. Addiction affects everyone differently. Some smokers can go cold turkey - others can't.

I have my own addictions. Go cold turkey from my daily coffee? Hell no!

I just want more smokers (ALL smokers would be even better) to be a little more considerate of those around them who don't smoke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I hate laying in bed and can smell my neighbours smoke

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orris Apjoko View Post
    I agree and to add, i've never actually met IRL a considerate smoker.

As much as i love you Pinkzy, being a smoker it wont effect you personally as much as it will a non-smoker, as we all know smoking kills your senses, so your senses are half dead when another smoker does something inconsiderate but i understand that you would be super pi$$ed if they did it while you have your DD and DS with you, so i can understand it would effect you but not you, you. Does that make sense?

Also something I am a fence sitter is how a smoker can value their life and then in the next 5 minutes smoke? It is so well known these days that every cigarette you smoke takes SEVEN MINUTES off your life.

My Dad has not had a smoke since november and is 47 and smoked for over 30 years, and after me (and other family) pestering at him, trying to ram it down his throat that he is killing himself (and pushing sicknesses onto us) he finally got it, quit cold turkey, 2 weeks later he came and APOLOGISED to me, he'd gone to a friends place and was shocked at how much it stunk of smoke, and his mate is a super clean guy, smokes outside over 3m away from the back door with it closed, the smoke travelled with him inside and everywhere he went. My dad said he finally valued his life and wanted to live (he has battled depression since he just before he started smoking when his sister killed herself and then his dad killed himself) more then he wanted to smoke, he wanted to be around to see his grand kids grow up and maybe even see them have kids.

He said it was the best thing he has ever done for his depression, he is happier, he loves tasting food, he loves seeing his grandkids and cuddling them without waiting 4 hours since his last smoke, brushing his teeth and washing his hands and face as well as putting a jacket on (i hate the smell of smoke). He loves the freedom he now has. Yes he wasnt limiting himself, we were limiting him because we didnt want his disgusting habit being pushed onto our children, my brother like myself wouldnt let him smoke at our places.

Obesity is a whole other can of worms but if someone is obese just due to eating unhealthily and not exercising, then yes i will (and have) said if you value your life then you wont eat that. And that was said to my mother about 12 months ago because she came to my house with maccas and was/is waiting for WLS and then said just before eating a mcchicken burger 'nothing i do is working so i am now on the waiting list for the gastric sleeve'. I said 'well eating that is not going to help', my brother was with her so i said 'give it to him and i will make you a chicken salad sandwich'. So she did, so i did and the only take away she has eaten since is kfc twister or subway subs, and lost about 10kg. But at 145kg, and a buggered knee and ankle(due to the weight) she cannot speed up her weightloss with exercise. While under they will also remover a hernia and sort of do lipo as well. My siblings and i have said we will pay for her nip/tuck if she gets to 85-90kg within 2 years of having the surgery.

And yes to everyone that is going to ask me, the view is great from my pedestal!
    The story about your father is just beautiful Good on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yuck I'm out of this thread. But it's the usual smoker bashing thread, why did I expect more?
    Hey , it's BH hun. (and luckily, as we all know...Bh does NOT = reality).

Don't let it get you down xo.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (14-01-2012),delirium  (14-01-2012),FloatingFairy  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oris If I ever met tour father I'd walk up and Thank him. What an amazing guy kudos to him
    Last edited by Confucius; 14-01-2012 at 14:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    Oris If I ever met tour father I'd walk up and Thank him. What an amazing guy coodose to him
    I think you mean 'kudos' lol. I just spent ages trying to work out what that meant. Where is LJ when you need her

ETA: OP - I'm saying this in jest, not trying to poke fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks witwicky . Had no idea how to write it and my phone just autocorrects everything.... Super annoying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DF is one of the most considerate smokers I know. We have been together 5 and a bit years, and I didn't know he was a smoker until 2-3 years into our relationship. I still wouldn't know if I hadn't walked outside and caught him smoking
    He is embarrassed by it, and hates it, but still enjoys it. That confuses me, but I can't say I've ever really been addicted to anything so I wouldnt really understand it.

I hate smoke. The first 18 years of my life is was subjected to cigarette smoke in my own house, constantly. My very own inconsiderate parents who are very inconsiderate smokers would not consider the health of their children and smoke outside at the very least, we did even ask if they could but we were the ones expected to move? I could smell the crap in my bedroom!
    I don't judge smokers, I understand its an addiction and its easy to say 'just quit' but I can only imagine how hard it really is to actually do that. It's gross and I hate it, I hate being subject to it involuntarily, but I can't exactly control peoples actions. The best I can do is speak up, if need be.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (14-01-2012),Witwicky  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep gets a bit old. I wonder how those that suffer PND or mental illness felt if there were 4000 threads bagging them out and making generalisations about them... and yes I do believe there is a parallel between mental illness and addictions like smoking. Both are states which the person can't help and where there brains are governing their behaviour.

I dunno, maybe I live in a weird town, but I hardly ever see smokers out the front of our mall, or smoking around other people's babies. 99% of smokers I know are hyper vigiliant (often bc of backlash like in this thread, and I do get that btw) about smoking near *anyone*. I smoke outside, the kids aren't allowed near me, I wash my hands, NEVER EVER smoke in the car with kids, never ever smoke near others... infact people often have a chuckle when I walk to the other side of the yard to smoke when others are around.

Maybe people need to contact centre management or something, I agree it's selfish smoking around others. But can we please tone down the anti smoker stuff. I'm a real person who actually *doesn't* pollute others space or smoke on top of my kids...
    You just wash your hands after having a smoke? You dont wash you face, brush/floss your teeth, wear a smoking jacket or oversized top? Did you know it takes atleast 4 washs of clothes (a top/pants whatever) to get rid of not only the smell of cigarette smoke but also alllllll the other harmful chemicals in cigarettes?

Do you know what actually reallllly makes me happy? To know there are cinsiderate smokers, all i ask is that you pass your consideration onto the inconsiderate smokers that are giving you the bad name, if there wasnt so many of them then you wouldnt have the bad name. Nomsie can back me up that where we live there is no such thing as considerate smoker.

And to whoever said about 'living in the big smoke' or whatever it was, i went to melbourne to take a friend to the airport as well as have a look at the queen vic markets and walk upto BDM to get our marriage certificate. We ended up only walkin about 10 metres into the markets because it stank of smoke, we had our DS with us and my friend is pregnant so almost threw up in the gutter because of the smell (she had a throw up bag thingy), then we walked from queen vic markets to BDM which I think was between 1km-2km away. Every 10 foot steps there was a a person standing smoking right outside buildings. Every outside the BDM building where MANY mum's with brand new babies were. So maybe the amount of smokers in big cities may also contribute to the 'big smoke'. We ended up having to do the trip twice because we had left our birth certificates in the car, genius' we are

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Orris Apjoko For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm an ex smoker. Smoked for about 10 years, quit before we had children, started up again between babies, quit again, started again after last child, quit again, and now i'm over it. I won't ever put another cigarette to my mouth again. I hate the smell, the after taste, the cost, the effect on my health, and that of my family (never did it inside or around the children or in the car). I did love the action of smoking, the habit of getting those 5 minutes to myself to have a coffee and a smoke. I no longer drink coffee, or tea, and don't drink alcohol either. None of the things i associated with smoking are relevant to my life any more, i feel no need to poison my lifestyle with it.

Yes, i agree that ex smokers are the most harsh on current smokers, but i also feel that as an ex smoker, i know how a smoker feels, having been there myself. Though, like anything in life, you can tell someone until you're blue in the face how wrong something is, but it's up to the individual to see it for themselves. Until they see it, nothing will change and arguing about it is just wasted energy. Every smoker know's how bad it is for them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LlamaMa For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (14-01-2012),Witwicky  (14-01-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast