Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 70
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,862
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    497
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whilst I don't agree that all smokers are inconsiderate I am 100% in agreement that smoking should be banned from ALL public spaces.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

    Confucius  (14-01-2012),Gothel  (14-01-2012),Guest1234  (14-01-2012),Luna Lovegood  (14-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (14-01-2012),Witwicky  (14-01-2012)

  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    9,135
    Thanks
    3,609
    Thanked
    2,361
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    Also going back to commenting on obese people eating a cheeseburger and adding to witwicky's post. An obese person eating a cheeseburger only affects that individual. Smoking in public and outside houses that are close living affects everyone around that area. I believe the law does need to enforce smoking laws and be very harsh about it. I don't want cancer because of someone elses life choice
    Now this I agree with - however, it's not really just the individual being affected when that person is putting more sugar and fat into their already dying, sick, obese body (this is a generalisation by the way, I know not *all* obese people are obese due to food addiction).

    The *emotional* and *mental* health of those close to them are affected by it. If the person develops a chronic illness like Diabetes or Heart Disease...their kids, husband/wife etc is affected. If they die due to a heart attack due to blocked arteries? well then I can only imagine the horror the family would be left to deal with

    I know it's not the same thing as others having their *physical* health affected by inconsiderate smokers, but it's something to think about.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    Also going back to commenting on obese people eating a cheeseburger and adding to witwicky's post. An obese person eating a cheeseburger only affects that individual. Smoking in public and outside houses that are close living affects everyone around that area. I believe the law does need to enforce smoking laws and be very harsh about it. I don't want cancer because of someone elses life choice
    You do realise that someone smoking in their backyard 5 metres away would create less damage to you than living in the city?? Yes someone smoking in a confined space with over a long period of time is damaging, you won't get an argument from me there. But I often have a snigger at people living in inner metro complaining about a slight wiff from 10 metres away once lol

    and yes it can be argued being obese can effect others. 1) kids pick up your unhealthy eating habits, that's proven fact 2) a parent that dies or can't run around with their kids have children that are effected. But imagine the backlash from that hypothetical thread

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Pinkzy  (14-01-2012)

  6. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,201
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    81
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I come into contact with inconsiderate smokers probably 99% of the time I go out into public, so I think "smoker bashing" is justified in my experience. I just want to breathe fresh air

    Anyway, I haven't seen that many threads about it on here lately. It's like any topic, it will always be brought up on bub hub so long as someone out there is negatively affected (and even moreso when children are negatively affected).
    I agree and to add, i've never actually met IRL a considerate smoker.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    Mmm, I disagree, Witwicky.

    I also come into contact with inconsiderate smokers all the time and I'm a smoker myself. I complain about it just as much as the next person and I've believed for some time that the laws regarding smoking in public MUST be stepped up, especially in undercover car parks and shopping centre entrances as it's a real problem.

    I think generalised, ignorant comments like "smokers don't value their lives" are inflammatory and nasty - not to mention un-necessary . Such a comment is also 100% incorrect. I don't tell obese people when they're eating yet another cheeseburger that they "don't value their lives" It's all about manners, I think that's what I'm trying to get at.

    Some smokers have no manners - so let's focus on the fact that they're rude in general and not lobby all smokers (including very considerate ones) into the same basket.
    As much as i love you Pinkzy, being a smoker it wont effect you personally as much as it will a non-smoker, as we all know smoking kills your senses, so your senses are half dead when another smoker does something inconsiderate but i understand that you would be super pi$$ed if they did it while you have your DD and DS with you, so i can understand it would effect you but not you, you. Does that make sense?

    Also something I am a fence sitter is how a smoker can value their life and then in the next 5 minutes smoke? It is so well known these days that every cigarette you smoke takes SEVEN MINUTES off your life.

    My Dad has not had a smoke since november and is 47 and smoked for over 30 years, and after me (and other family) pestering at him, trying to ram it down his throat that he is killing himself (and pushing sicknesses onto us) he finally got it, quit cold turkey, 2 weeks later he came and APOLOGISED to me, he'd gone to a friends place and was shocked at how much it stunk of smoke, and his mate is a super clean guy, smokes outside over 3m away from the back door with it closed, the smoke travelled with him inside and everywhere he went. My dad said he finally valued his life and wanted to live (he has battled depression since he just before he started smoking when his sister killed herself and then his dad killed himself) more then he wanted to smoke, he wanted to be around to see his grand kids grow up and maybe even see them have kids.

    He said it was the best thing he has ever done for his depression, he is happier, he loves tasting food, he loves seeing his grandkids and cuddling them without waiting 4 hours since his last smoke, brushing his teeth and washing his hands and face as well as putting a jacket on (i hate the smell of smoke). He loves the freedom he now has. Yes he wasnt limiting himself, we were limiting him because we didnt want his disgusting habit being pushed onto our children, my brother like myself wouldnt let him smoke at our places.

    Obesity is a whole other can of worms but if someone is obese just due to eating unhealthily and not exercising, then yes i will (and have) said if you value your life then you wont eat that. And that was said to my mother about 12 months ago because she came to my house with maccas and was/is waiting for WLS and then said just before eating a mcchicken burger 'nothing i do is working so i am now on the waiting list for the gastric sleeve'. I said 'well eating that is not going to help', my brother was with her so i said 'give it to him and i will make you a chicken salad sandwich'. So she did, so i did and the only take away she has eaten since is kfc twister or subway subs, and lost about 10kg. But at 145kg, and a buggered knee and ankle(due to the weight) she cannot speed up her weightloss with exercise. While under they will also remover a hernia and sort of do lipo as well. My siblings and i have said we will pay for her nip/tuck if she gets to 85-90kg within 2 years of having the surgery.

    And yes to everyone that is going to ask me, the view is great from my pedestal!

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orris Apjoko For This Useful Post:

    Gothel  (14-01-2012),Witwicky  (14-01-2012)

  8. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I understand addiction and mental illness VERY well thank you.
    Well then you understand that negative generalisations about people with MI and why they don't get better (as opposed to why smokers don't give up bc such and such did) are unhelpful and hurtful... and yes I know some have talked about 'inconsiderate' smokers rather than ALL smokers but there have been a number of generalisations in this thread.

  9. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    9,135
    Thanks
    3,609
    Thanked
    2,361
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Orris, it does effect me Just because a smoker smokes does *not* mean that 2nd hand smoke is any less dangerous to them. On the contrary, since we already smoke, 2nd hand smoke to us is even more dangerous. Obviously since I have a child, it also annoys me to no end that he is affected by 2nd hand smoke whenever we go to the shops.

    I don't think anyone who hasn't been through life changing addiction will really understand (as in "lived it" type of understand) the "they don't value their lives" comment. That's not a dig It's just what I believe.

    Like I said, my dad smoked for 40 years and just stopped one day..hasn't looked back since. That's my dad though. Everyone's different and we don't base what we can and can't do on what everyone else can and can't do as that's just silly.

    So while I love you too - I think we should probably just agree to disagree on this ♥.

  10. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Orris Apjoko View Post
    I agree and to add, i've never actually met IRL a considerate smoker.
    I find that hard to believe.

    Also something I am a fence sitter is how a smoker can value their life and then in the next 5 minutes smoke? It is so well known these days that every cigarette you smoke takes SEVEN MINUTES off your life.
    Clearly you don't understand addiction, and unless you are a perfect weight, have never put junk food in your mouth, exercise 5 days a week every week, have never drank alcohol in excess etc etc you don't value your life either.

    Yuck I'm out of this thread. But it's the usual smoker bashing thread, why did I expect more?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Pinkzy  (14-01-2012)

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,716
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    63
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have to disagree that there are considerate smokers... If you smoke in your yard, your neighbours have to smell it.. I'm a smoker btw, over 30 a day, I'm about to quit again.. When you don't smoke you realize just how disgusting the smell is, walking into shops they smell stale, your neighbour lighting up in the backyard and the smoke comes wafting over the fence while your hanging out your washing... Sucks when your having a crave at that time too, just want to yell at them... Guess ex smokers are more judgmental lol.
    As for health issues, go and have a look at whyquit.com

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bronny-jane For This Useful Post:

    Confucius  (14-01-2012),Gothel  (14-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (14-01-2012),Witwicky  (14-01-2012)

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked
    30
    Reviews
    0
    Delerium I believe you think I live in the city. This is not the case. I live in a house in an estate and am forced to keep my windows shut because my neighbors ( two families under one roof who all smoke) seem to take it in turns smoking out the back where the wind always blows from their yard to mine. If I'm more then 50 meters away I know that a "quick whiff" is probably harmless however I despise the smell so therefore it offends me. I don't fart in an elevator if nobody is around because I know sooner or later someone will step in and probably take offense to it.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    9,135
    Thanks
    3,609
    Thanked
    2,361
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bronny-jane View Post
    Guess ex smokers are more judgmental lol.
    Yep that's why reformed smokers are the 'butt' of all smokers jokes


 
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. smokers can you please put your butts in the bin *vent
    By Blessedwith3boys in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30-04-2012, 20:17
  2. Smokers and toddlers
    By ChocMilk in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 23-03-2012, 20:48
  3. Do any smokers here take the contraceptive pill?
    By Pinkzy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 02:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Sarah Tooke Childbirth & Parenting Education
Providing private, personalised antenatal childbirth & parenting education to expectant parents in the comfort of their own home. Sessions are flexible, including everything that hospital based programs cover. Click to find out more!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!