Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    AB yes I have smoked before when I was in high school because all my friends were doing it. After 6 months of this I just stopped because I realised I despised it so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Littering of any kind is revolting, but honestly, can we just lay off the smoker bashing all the time?
    Yep gets a bit old. I wonder how those that suffer PND or mental illness felt if there were 4000 threads bagging them out and making generalisations about them... and yes I do believe there is a parallel between mental illness and addictions like smoking. Both are states which the person can't help and where there brains are governing their behaviour.

I dunno, maybe I live in a weird town, but I hardly ever see smokers out the front of our mall, or smoking around other people's babies. 99% of smokers I know are hyper vigiliant (often bc of backlash like in this thread, and I do get that btw) about smoking near *anyone*. I smoke outside, the kids aren't allowed near me, I wash my hands, NEVER EVER smoke in the car with kids, never ever smoke near others... infact people often have a chuckle when I walk to the other side of the yard to smoke when others are around.

Maybe people need to contact centre management or something, I agree it's selfish smoking around others. But can we please tone down the anti smoker stuff. I'm a real person who actually *doesn't* pollute others space or smoke on top of my kids...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (14-01-2012),fiddlesticks  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I had a natural birth no drugs.IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN!
    Its the same thing really.No 2 people are the same,and giving up for one person may be easy peasy,others find it harder.Hell,some of us DONT want to quit.
    Yes there are rude smokers out there...I hope I am not one.I try to keep to myself and not force my smoke on anyone.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Chels* For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (14-01-2012),Penny88  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    Pinkzy i agree that it is about manners too however i have heard many smokers respond to the question "why don't you quit if you hate it so much" with an answer of "got to die of something". Nearly all the smokers I have come across are
    Just ignorant not rude
    Well that sucks that you only know rude and ignorant smokers however it's possible they're saying "got to die of something" because they don't want to get into the real reasons they're not ready to quit yet and I'm afraid that's fair enough. I have valid reasons I'm not ready to quit but I don't feel the need to list them here because it's none of anyone's business to be frank.

Nicotine addiction is as serious as Heroin addiction - this is a documented fact. We don't just expect Heroin addicts to say "ah well, yeah I'm ready to give up...I'll just go cold turkey about it" - so to trivialise how serious an addiction smoking is by saying "someone I know quit, so you can too" is ridiculous.

I've cut down to 10 cigarettes per day, I am sooooooooo, so so so sooo proud of myself as is my doctor, family, friends etc. I will give up one day, I know I will - just the way my dad quit smoking after 40 years (cold turkey as it happened). Mum did the same thing. I may quit cold turkey, I may get some help. Who knows. Until then though? I don't smoke in public because I don't want my habit effecting anyone else and I don't smoke in my backyard if the neighbours are in their backyard. I consider myself to be one of the *majority* of smokers (ie the considerate ones).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Arusaamatus  (14-01-2012),Pawzette  (14-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    Witwicky, I understand that. That's why I've been saying for years that smoking in public laws need a shake up, they're simply NOT strict enough and in my opinion aren't working. It's illegal to smoke in front of the shopping centre entrances but lots of people do it - never seen anyone pulled up on it though. Besides, the law of having to be 4m away isn't good enough. 4m is NOT far enough away.

I know it was you who made the very stupid "smokers don't value their life comment" but that *is* insulting and there's no excuse for it. *shrugs* I guess I'm just not into insulting EVERYONE who smokes because it isn't EVERYONE who is inconsiderate with it.
    I understand what you are saying. My point is that unfortunately considerate smokers seem to be few and far between, so when the MAJORITY of smokers I come into contact with affect my life, I feel the need to express my concern openly and honestly. Bub hub is always a great place to do that, like many other complaints you see on here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pinkzy it's like bashing your head against a brick wall.
    I truly don't see hoards of inconsiderate smokers though. Of course they are around but not every where I turn. Or maybe I just don't notice it? But you know, I smoke occasionally with a glass of wine in my back yard, and according to this thread that makes me inconsiderate to others.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (14-01-2012),fiddlesticks  (14-01-2012),Penny88  (14-01-2012),Pinkzy  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also going back to commenting on obese people eating a cheeseburger and adding to witwicky's post. An obese person eating a cheeseburger only affects that individual. Smoking in public and outside houses that are close living affects everyone around that area. I believe the law does need to enforce smoking laws and be very harsh about it. I don't want cancer because of someone elses life choice

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Confucius For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (14-01-2012),Luna Lovegood  (14-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (14-01-2012),Witwicky  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I truly don't see hoards of inconsiderate smokers though. Of course they are around but not every where I turn. Or maybe I just don't notice it? But you know, I smoke occasionally with a glass of wine in my back yard, and according to this thread that makes me inconsiderate to others.
    Yep, yep and yep.

Meh...I wish we lived closer. I'd come and have a wine and ciggy with you in the backyard .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    You sound like me. I smoke 2 packets of 20's a week and I'm extremely careful and considerate of others. My friends that smoke are also the same. I want to know who all those people are breathing smoke over others babies, bc I think I've seen a couple down the main street smoking while pushing a pram and that's the extent of it...

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep gets a bit old. I wonder how those that suffer PND or mental illness felt if there were 4000 threads bagging them out and making generalisations about them... and yes I do believe there is a parallel between mental illness and addictions like smoking. Both are states which the person can't help and where there brains are governing their behaviour.

I dunno, maybe I live in a weird town, but I hardly ever see smokers out the front of our mall, or smoking around other people's babies. 99% of smokers I know are hyper vigiliant (often bc of backlash like in this thread, and I do get that btw) about smoking near *anyone*. I smoke outside, the kids aren't allowed near me, I wash my hands, NEVER EVER smoke in the car with kids, never ever smoke near others... infact people often have a chuckle when I walk to the other side of the yard to smoke when others are around.

Maybe people need to contact centre management or something, I agree it's selfish smoking around others. But can we please tone down the anti smoker stuff. I'm a real person who actually *doesn't* pollute others space or smoke on top of my kids...
    I understand addiction and mental illness VERY well thank you.

The threads are referring to inconsiderate smokers. As you know, you can be considerate regardless of your addiction.

I don't know whether it's a case of where you live or not noticing. As a non-smoker, breathing in cigarette smoke feels like I have just placed my mouth over the exhaust of a car. I go from breathing 'fresh' air to feeling a burning sensation (depending how close) and a very, very offensive smell. I come across it everywhere, and I've lived in three different cities.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (14-01-2012)