Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Littering of any kind is revolting, but honestly, can we just lay off the smoker bashing all the time?
    I agree - to have an opinion in a *grown up* way is absolutely fine but the insults and petty little 'digs' are oh so childish and borrrrrrrrrring. I'd rather be a smoker than someone who doesn't understand (and worse, makes fun of) addiction .

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (14-01-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (14-01-2012),emzluvbub  (14-01-2012),Penny88  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Because it's such a beneficial, positive habit?
    I'm not saying it is. No smoker would say it is. I just see so many threads on BH attacking smokers, and the reality is, they are people too.
    I'm not advocating smoking, or littering.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (14-01-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (14-01-2012),delirium  (14-01-2012),Penny88  (14-01-2012),Pinkzy  (14-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I come into contact with inconsiderate smokers probably 99% of the time I go out into public, so I think "smoker bashing" is justified in my experience. I just want to breathe fresh air

Anyway, I haven't seen that many threads about it on here lately. It's like any topic, it will always be brought up on bub hub so long as someone out there is negatively affected (and even moreso when children are negatively affected).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmm, I disagree, Witwicky.

I also come into contact with inconsiderate smokers all the time and I'm a smoker myself. I complain about it just as much as the next person and I've believed for some time that the laws regarding smoking in public MUST be stepped up, especially in undercover car parks and shopping centre entrances as it's a real problem.

I think generalised, ignorant comments like "smokers don't value their lives" are inflammatory and nasty - not to mention un-necessary . Such a comment is also 100% incorrect. I don't tell obese people when they're eating yet another cheeseburger that they "don't value their lives" It's all about manners, I think that's what I'm trying to get at.

Some smokers have no manners - so let's focus on the fact that they're rude in general and not lobby all smokers (including very considerate ones) into the same basket.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (14-01-2012),Penny88  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Smoking is a bad habit and I feel as though many smokers do make up excuses about how hard it is to quit. I have seen a hardcore chain smoker of 30 years just stop cold turkey. If he can do it I believe everyone can. Also my father stopped smoking because my older brother had an asthma attack one night and the nurse told him that smoking around his children will eventually do worse things (just wish it had affected my mum as much as it did my father). My father was a smoker of 15 years and gave up cold turkey too. They didn't have the help that is out there now back then and he managed just fine with no excuses.

Thanks
    Reviews

The old "if he can do it, anyone can" chestnut. I'm just going to respectfully disagree and leave it at that, me thinks. It's a Saturday and I don't have the energy .

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (14-01-2012),LivinOnAPrayer  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    Smoking is a bad habit and I feel as though many smokers do make up excuses about how hard it is to quit. I have seen a hardcore chain smoker of 30 years just stop cold turkey. If he can do it I believe everyone can. Also my father stopped smoking because my older brother had an asthma attack one night and the nurse told him that smoking around his children will eventually do worse things (just wish it had affected my mum as much as it did my father). My father was a smoker of 15 years and gave up cold turkey too. They didn't have the help that is out there now back then and he managed just fine with no excuses.
    That's awesome. You ever smoked yourself?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't care less if a smoker values their life or not. It's not my life. I didn't make that comment.

But when I breathe in cigarette smoke the *majority* of the time I go out into public, and even in my own lounge room (thanks to the neighbours), I feel like my own health is being compromised. Or that of my children. I take that very personally (naturally), so yeah, I still believe 'smoker bashing' is justified.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (14-01-2012),Luna Lovegood  (14-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (14-01-2012),RobinSparkles  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pinkzy i agree that it is about manners too however i have heard many smokers respond to the question "why don't you quit if you hate it so much" with an answer of "got to die of something". Nearly all the smokers I have come across are
    Just ignorant not rude

Thanks
    Reviews
    Witwicky, I understand that. That's why I've been saying for years that smoking in public laws need a shake up, they're simply NOT strict enough and in my opinion aren't working. It's illegal to smoke in front of the shopping centre entrances but lots of people do it - never seen anyone pulled up on it though. Besides, the law of having to be 4m away isn't good enough. 4m is NOT far enough away.

I know it was you who made the very stupid "smokers don't value their life comment" but that *is* insulting and there's no excuse for it. *shrugs* I guess I'm just not into insulting EVERYONE who smokes because it isn't EVERYONE who is inconsiderate with it.