+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Teeth Brushing & 20 Month Old!

DS will not let me brush his teeth, or do it himself. Everything I read online says "Establish it early", well that's really great thanks, but he has NEVER let me put anything in his mouth (was a early teether and teethed consistently till he was around 14 months - no one was allowed near his mouth!)

Things I have tried:
    - Toothpaste/no toothpaste/fruit flavoured toddler toothpaste
    - Electric toothbrush/normal tooth brush
    - Letting him do it/letting him play with & chew on the brush
    - Brushing my teeth at the same time for him to copy
    - Letting him try brushing my teeth/watching me brush my teeth at every chance
    - Making a game of it/singing a song

And nothing! It particularly stresses me as he has only just given up his over night bottles in bed and we live in a place where there is no fluoride in the water. I grew up in a place the same and my teeth are sooooo weak! I don't want him to go through what I did at 3 years old - being given a general and having 6 fillings done, then a life time of dentists and painful needles, root canals, crowns and drilling not mention the expense.

Any other ideas short of pinning him down and forcing the brush in his mouth?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 18 mobths and is exactly the same. she'll play with a toothbrush but thats it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine says it's easier to clean their teeth when you pin them down screaming cas their mouths wide open (kidding obviously!)

Maybe try a trip to the dentist for a check up and see if they have any suggestions? some don't charge for check ups for kids HTH

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Von Zipper  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I will take him the dentist. Surely they have tricks to get stubborn kids to open their mouths!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just letting you know we have the same problem with DS 2.5 I can't offer a solution just wanted to let you know you are not alone :-) ...................

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not alone DS has been like this too for as long as he has had teeth!! He's 21 months now and has all but 2 teeth out and it is getting a teeny bit easier with him letting us brush his teeth. He likes to imitate so watching us brush our teeth and seeing/listening to some teeth brushing songs on Play School helped! Other than that we used to have to wait till he cried to get his mouth open

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think bribery works a treat when things are difficult. Stamps, rewards and non edible treats are what I use for other situations. I would also show him how his favourite characters brush, eg wiggles etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 21 month has been the same. He finally got his molars through a month ago but still all I could get out of him was a quick chew on the tooth brush. Last week I got him a little round mirror that he can hold and gave it to him with his toothbrush. I held it for him to look while he brushed then he held while I brushed for him. I was surprised it has actually helped and I've managed to quickly brush all his teeth after he has brushed for about 30 seconds. Worth a try if you haven't yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 yr old is the same and I found a hole in his tooth the other day- I'm devastated.

He will not brush or play with a toothbrush or anything, I've tried everything too and he just refuses. Even if I pin him down! I have no idea how a dentist is gonna fix the hole but I'm making my husband take him since he's the idiot that gives him crap all the time...