+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default vbac; others experiences / factors on what and why it was successful or not???

hi

i had a c sect with my first (failure to progress after induction at 41 wks) and have been offered another (if i want it) for the 2nd which will be 22 months after the first. i personally have no real problem with having another c sect however i still havent quite made up my mind.....

just wondering as i have been trying to do research on what makes a successful vbac??? or the factors that are likely to make it fail? i really dont want to bother with it or any type of induction if my odds of it working are low IYKWIM...

i have heard being overweight is more likely to result in c sect ?? (im quite overweight and very unfit compared to what i was several years ago)....so would like to hear from anyone in that boat....

if your first labour had to be induced and bub showed no signs at all of moving is it more likely the second will do the same?

im not anti c sect at all and it will not worry me if i have another but my concerns about the c sect is a) will have a toddler to care for this time so if recovery could be quicker it would be nice and b) my feet were dreadfully swollen for 2 months after c sect...i mean horrendous as they where already bad due to pg . i just have a feeling that 40 wks will arrive and there will be no sign of labour, i refuse to get induced so will end up with a c sect anyway.............

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. I'm 17 weeks with my 2nd at attempting a VBAC this time. Hope you get some responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing I'm 14 weeks with my 2nd and hoping to vbac this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a c-section with number 2 he was posterior and 9lb 2oz, with no3 i had a 5 hour VBAC, she was 8lb 3oz, i believe that it was her position that made the difference not so much the size(their heads were the same size) i tried very hard to get her into a correct position by sitting on a birth ball, spending time on all 4's and sitting forward rather than slouching....
    They will not induce you with a vbac , i was overdue and 2cms so they brike my waters to get things going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks, DS was posterior and stuck up high, also had cord around his neck too....5 hr vbac i could handle (i think.....withn an epi ).

i have heard u shoulnt be induced with gel, but some have had the drip and amr for a vbac????....it was so long and boring being induced and i was shocked at how "unnatural' the contractions were after the AMR...like zero pain to BANG 'contractions' every 2-3 miutes with almost no gap....i wasnt impressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am attempting a VBAC also, I recommend watching The Business of being Born and More Business of Being Born - Part 4 ( it is all about VBAC) it is very informative defiantly worth watching both!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to brolly10 For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (15-01-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    After a 28hr labor with my son, where I was fully dilated and pushing for over an hour. But he wasn't coming down when I was pushing so I had an emergency cesarean. I hated my cesarean though. I hated the pain getting out of bed and for me there was alot of emotional pain. So when I fell pregnant 6 months later I was hell bent on a natural birth. My son was 9lb10oz, so the midwife at the hospital concluded that with his size and the way my labor went, he must have been stuch and my pelvis is probably too small to birth. But I pressed on and 16 months after my cesarean I gave birth to my daughter , completely naturally, and she was born straight into my arms. it was a beautiful experience, and I am so glad I got it. I think my labor was successful because I stayed away from any drugs or intervention and had trust in my body and baby to birth successfully. At the end of the day for me a natural labor was safer for me and my baby so there was no question in my mind what my decision would be. Oh and my daughter was 9lb8.5oz, so my pelvis was just fine
    Last edited by Theophania; 15-01-2012 at 19:05.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

meeks30  (15-06-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    dont think i could do no drugs.....i have very little pateince for pain.

anyone had a vbac and wished they hadnt bothered? and reasons?

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks..i read a few of the older threads on this topic....my friend just had an elective c sect for her 2nd baby..she raved, said it was great, mind u her first c sect was emergency.....mmmmmmmmm i think my mind is made up tho ...........just wish u knew what kind of labour u were going to have in advance..would make it easier .

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a "successful" VBAC but I did it the hard way. It was really a shambles when it came to the birth. And for me the bad birth was about on-par with a recovery from an elective cs. So my advice is try for a VBAC! Even if it is a bad birth, your recovery will be the same.

I had absolutely no idea what labour would be like - my first was elective due to a breech position. But truthfully the contractions weren't all that bad. You kinda zone through them. My scar didn't bother me one little bit.

If I had my chance again, I would do it differently. The constant monitoring was a total pain - so I would stay at home for as long as possible. I would be as fit as I could - a bad back caused me more pain than the contractions! And I would say no to an epi - I ended up flat on my back unable to move. (Oh - and I would ban my DH from the room! But that is a different story! )

The epi also meant I really didn't know if I was pushing right.

I would arm myself with this info, try for a vbac, but trust the professionals if they say you need another cs. It is not really that big of a deal when it boils down to it. Good luck!