+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Day Sleeping

I need help!!

My DS is 8.5 months old, we had a rough start to sleeping due to undiagnosed reflux, he would only ever sleep upright on us for the first 10 weeks.

We gradually introduced him back to the cot at night when he was medicated at around 3 months and he has been sleeping not great, but okay at night and occasionally he will even self settle!

During the day is my problem, he has never ever slept in his cot during the day, as soon as I put him in there he screams and screams and screams, I feed him to sleep not entirely by choice and I wouldn't even mind if I could put him down afterwards but he insists on sleeping on me and feeding if he wakes up otherwise he will cry and cry, or just wake up no matter how much sleep he's had which results in a grumpy baby.

It is really starting to bother me not being able to get anything done during the day, I have no idea why he can go into his cot at night time wide awake and I can just hold his hand and he will fall asleep without tears, if he wakes in the middle of the night sometimes he will self settle after a feed, but during the day it just wont happen

I have tried rocking him, he wont let me do that he will just cry, he lets DF sometimes but he works shift work so that isn't much help and there is no way he can be put down if he is put to sleep this way either.

What do I do!?!?!? I don't want to CC, out of sheer desperation and frustration I have left him in there crying for 5 minutes before and it is too awful, so please don't suggest CC.

I don't know why he cries so much when he is put in there during the day, no matter how much I try to soothe him he wont stop!

If anyone has any advice I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried lying down to feed bub on a bed or mattress on the floor, and then sneaking out when bub is asleep?

this was how i got small break s from my bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was at my wits end and tried "its time to sleep"...worked like a charm, though you have to commit to it and follow through. It took a while but I kept doing the same thing and now my little one is a great sleeper....hoping it works with the next one due in a few weeks

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds was the same during the day so I brought one of those kid fold out couch things and once he had fallen asleep I would put him on that in the lounge room and I think with the noise of the tv, washing machine he stayed asleep. I just kept night time sleep quiet so he new the difference. But now he is 15 months I lay with him in his room on a mattress on the floor and he goes to sleep for 3 hours yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It used to confuse me too. Why are nights so different? But it's because at night time they are actually getting sleepy hormones released due to the dark.

DS was also born April last year And it was such a looooong, exhausting road until about 6 months. As a PP suggested, for a long to I used to feed him on a floor mattress and sneak out after getting him into deep sleep. Then I changed to the pram because I found out that I could push him till he closed his eyes and then just park him somewhere quiet - this scored me a lot more time to do stuff! Does your ds like the pram??

But since about 6 months (due to waking hourly at night), I started feeding him to sleep again but then would just wait for his eyes to close and for the gaps between sucking to get really long, and then put him down. He would wake and protest initially but I just kept repeating this so that there was no crying until he got the idea. I can't remember how long it took for him to be ok with it because it's sort of a gradual thing not a "he doesn't like it today but tomorrow he will" sora thing.

He then started having 2 hour naps! And he actually likes his cot now - doesn't cry when he wakes just starts playing around and babbling to himself haha. Occasionally he still catnaps but that's fine because I don't spend hours just trying to get him to sleep without him knowing lol. He still feeds once or twice a night atm but is he wakes more than that I can just stroke his cheek back to sleep.

Good luck and let us know if he improves!