+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Honestly, if someone has an issue with my dogs barking. Id much rather they come & talk to me than go to the council.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (14-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof Plum View Post
    Don't do it
    My neighbour was verbally abusive and lied about having a dog until her daughter walked out with it. You don't know how people will react, I don't recommend it.
    (App playing up, that reply was in response to triple time's post)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, what happens if you rent a not so nice house then the neighbours buy a barking dog? Do you keep moving?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't get it. A well trained dog shouldn't bark non-stop at the neighbours having people over/through the house. What if you want a bbq one night etc? I just think it is a sign of the owners and the dog in general if it is doing that at any point for no good reason. A trained dog wouldn't, so I wouldn't risk it being a problem in the future.

Eta I don't mean a dog should never bark, but you know the difference between one that is protecting it's property and the type of dog that just goes crazy barking at everything all the time? That is what I mean. I grew up in a place where everyone had a dog in every house and they would bark if they needed to, but no one ever had a dog that barked all the time. I couldn't stand that, because it shows that something isn't right for the dog imo.
    Last edited by TinyLittleTootsies; 13-01-2012 at 20:11.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The dog could be barking cos it didn't know u. My dog never barks at the neighbours but will bark like a mad thing if she sees someone else go to the neighbors house and they aren't home

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two dogs they are both well trained same amount of of training and both very very good dogs, it's not the training that is the problem, ( I find that people without dogs use that excuse) but if u actually have a dog u realize it comes down to the dog and it's personality, as I said I have two dogs one of which is very silent and doesn't bark unless there is something going on, the other is noisy boisterous girl who communicates by making noise and barking, so no matter how much I try and tell her not to bark and to be silent ect she doesn't listen, but as I said she has had training and can do about anything on command, the noise is just in her personality just like some humans talk more than others, she likes to be heard and it's her way of communicating.

And two those people who say get the council involved, I'm sorry but do any of u realize what the council actually do to these dogs that have the complaint made against them??

One of my neighbors had two beautiful dogs who when he wasn't home would bark at people in the street walking past there home, ( doing there duty as dogs) now some other people complained about these dogs ..( I live across the road from the dogs and you could never notice them barking that badly) the council forced the dogs to number one wear an electrical collar that shocked them whenever they made a noise, btw the noise from the collars where worse than the dogs because one should could hear the zap from across the street and two the yelp of these poor dogs was heart breaking !! Secondly when the dogs learned how to bark low enough for the collars not to work( which all dogs work out once they are in pain enough) the council ordered them to remove there voice boxes !!!!!!! Seriously!!!!!! luckily during all this my neighbor decided instead of tour cheering his poor dogs he would move which he has done and had no issue with *****y neighbors again !!

I'm sorry but I think The council should be a last resort because frankly peoples animals are as precious as they babies, and you would hate someone to say to u that your child makes to much noise so we have to shock them until they are quite!!

Btw in my street the kids are noisier than the dogs !! Yet u don't see anyone complaining about that do ya?

Just food for thought x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintmummy View Post
    I have two dogs they are both well trained same amount of of training and both very very good dogs, it's not the training that is the problem, ( I find that people without dogs use that excuse) but if u actually have a dog u realize it comes down to the dog and it's personality, as I said I have two dogs one of which is very silent and doesn't bark unless there is something going on, the other is noisy boisterous girl who communicates by making noise and barking, so no matter how much I try and tell her not to bark and to be silent ect she doesn't listen, but as I said she has had training and can do about anything on command, the noise is just in her personality just like some humans talk more than others, she likes to be heard and it's her way of communicating.

And two those people who say get the council involved, I'm sorry but do any of u realize what the council actually do to these dogs that have the complaint made against them??

One of my neighbors had two beautiful dogs who when he wasn't home would bark at people in the street walking past there home, ( doing there duty as dogs) now some other people complained about these dogs ..( I live across the road from the dogs and you could never notice them barking that badly) the council forced the dogs to number one wear an electrical collar that shocked them whenever they made a noise, btw the noise from the collars where worse than the dogs because one should could hear the zap from across the street and two the yelp of these poor dogs was heart breaking !! Secondly when the dogs learned how to bark low enough for the collars not to work( which all dogs work out once they are in pain enough) the council ordered them to remove there voice boxes !!!!!!! Seriously!!!!!! luckily during all this my neighbor decided instead of tour cheering his poor dogs he would move which he has done and had no issue with *****y neighbors again !!

I'm sorry but I think The council should be a last resort because frankly peoples animals are as precious as they babies, and you would hate someone to say to u that your child makes to much noise so we have to shock them until they are quite!!

Btw in my street the kids are noisier than the dogs !! Yet u don't see anyone complaining about that do ya?

Just food for thought x
    OMG that is a sad story, those poor dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintmummy View Post
    If this was aimed at my comment, I have had dogs my whole life (except the last 3 were I haven't because we live in a unit and it's not fair). Not that owning a dog/s your whole life means anything because a lot of owners are terrible or simply never learnt in the first place how to handle different dogs and personalities. There is a difference between a dog who has been to doggy school as a puppy and a dog that is constantly well trained and behaved with a owner who knows what they are doing. Yes, some dogs love to bark for fun, some love to dig, some love to run around like crazy. I still think that barking non-stop is a bad sign and possibly one of a bored dog who will bark a lot. Obviously the OP can't know if the dog is always like this from one visit. I think her idea of asking the neighbours how the dog usually is, is a good idea. I don't think she should tell the council, but if the neighbour says the dog always barks I would personally try to avoid the rental.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (13-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbasmummy View Post
    I was thinking that tomorrow I should go up again and ask the neighbors on the other side about it. Maybe worth a try.....
    To me that sounds like a good idea. At least they would be able to truthfully tell you what is normal and if there is a problem.

Maybe ask them if the previous tenants had any children and if so how the dog reacted when the child played in the back yard.

It depends on the nature of the dog. Some will bark like that as you are the unknown and to them shouldnt be there but then settle down once they get use to you being around. Others will bark each time one of your family walks out of the house. You wont know unless you ask a neighbour or until you move in.

My dogs are quiet all day and night until someone or something comes onto our property. If we get a visitor they bark initially until they check the person out. If it is someone that regularly visits and they are satisfied all is ok they remain quiet. If it is someone they dont know they will bark constantly until we tell them to be quiet. It is really good when I am home by myself as they let me know someone is coming up the drive before I even see them. Luckily we dont have any close neighbours.