+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Private versus Public?

As it suggests above??

I wished I joined Private ages ago now we look like we are facing IVF...
    And the wisdom teeth i just had pulled out in surgery - OUCH

I've since been looking into Private for when we FINALLY get pregnant, but the one I'm looking @ is Latrobe with a 9 month wait but that $150 a month & it seems like after convo's with girl friends who use public - you end up paying more to be private? And all you really get, is the choice of your doc, hospital & more days in hospital... Confused :-/

A friend who's with public said she pays nothing for a C section, her sis with private was almost 2 grand out of pocket - what the?!

Apparently scans and everything cost you private & not when public - I don't get it.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on what cover you go for maybe?? I know my friend who is pregnant was tossing up between private or public and turns out you get the same thing in both except if you go public, after you give birth in the private section you get moved to the public section. She opted for public and she pays for her scans and appointments but gets some back through medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that's how it's sounding. My little sis had my nephew at 27 weeks & was rushed to monash - as my sis was under mums private health fund, mum asked if she should use the health fund for better cover & they advised mum to leave my sis as a public patient as the care is no different & the soca are exactly the same - the only thing different were the rooms....
    I guess it comes down to how much you want a particular, hospital, room of your own & dr etc...
    I'm thinking that is money we could save... I do eventually want to get private cover to avoid waiting lusts etc but not sure it's a priority just for birth purposes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I decided to get private health cover I have been it for over 12 months now it was costing $180 a month as we need top cover to cover pregnancy. We don't have kids yet but I wanted to be able to choose what hospital I went to when it did happen. After hearing a number of stories about out of pocket cost I decided to drop to basic cover. There are some public hospitals that you can still get single rooms in and also I don't see the point now to picking your OB because if you go into labour at the same time as one of their other patients you may still get someone else. Thats just my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mj... Yep, this is what I'm thinking thanks!! :-)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did private with the first two before the rebate system changed. I am going public with this one and am as happy with the care I am getting as I was was with private. I won't get quite so many days in hospital, but I won't have to give my ob the baby bonus either
    With the baby bonus, I could pay for a lactation consultant to visit me in a 5 star hotel for 4 days and still have half left.
    As someone now working in the health system, I can vouch for health professionals being equally good in both the public and private system.
    It comes down to what is important to you, a longer stay in hospital and seeing a doctor for all your appointments and most likely your birth, or, seeing a midwife every appointment and most likely your birth (if no complications), a shorter stay in hospital and an extra $4K in your pocket.

edit- almost forgot all the extra that obstetrics costs on your cover and the 9-12 month waiting period before you can actually use it.
    Last edited by Opinionated; 14-01-2012 at 20:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Removed this post as it wasn't open to discussion... I was giving my reasoning.
    Last edited by kezanazz; 15-01-2012 at 08:00.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You owe your dd's life to whoever cared for you. You get fantastic carers in both systems, yours just happened to be private.

Children born extremely early or ill all end up in the public sytem, that is where the NICU's are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have insurance with that company but went public with my ds. Now I am 26 weeks pregnant and had decided that I wanted to go to my closest hospital (public). My excess is $500 and the only benefit I would get is to maybe (no guarantee) have a private room which I don't care about. When I birthed my ds the woman I shared with said 'I hope you don't mind but I have 3 other kids and I want to bond with my son before I go home'- she pulled the curtain and we didn't speak once. (I thought that was smart). I would rather save that money for something else. If the private hospital was closer I may have considered it but tbh all the extra visits to an ob would have driven me batty and I don't like the idea of more scans than necessary. I think you need to weigh up your own pros and cons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    You owe your dd's life to whoever cared for you. You get fantastic carers in both systems, yours just happened to be private.

Children born extremely early or ill all end up in the public sytem, that is where the NICU's are.
    No. I owe my daughters life on our decision to go private.
    I would not have had an appointment at that time had I been public.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub-that's why it's full of bad grammar and spelling mistakes!