+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I ate sushi throughout my pregnancies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's all up to whether u want to risk getting listeria from it really. The risk is there especially with the rice. Yes lots will eat it all the time and have no probs..... Then u get the ones that do. We had a lady in hospital recently get listeria at 30wks and the outcome was not good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The sushi rice has stuff in it that makes it more likely to ferment (and breed bacteria like listeria) if it's been sitting around for a while. That makes sushi rice much more risky than normal rice. As much as I wanted Sushi whilst pregnant I didn't dare touch it!

As for knowing if the place has had a food poisoning outbreak, I was shocked to read the other day that lots of places have had food poisoning outbreaks in Victoria and haven't made the news. Even a place that made 84 people sick! So, don't rely on hearing via the media if your local takeaway food place has had food handling issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did read its the rice that is the risk, bacteria doubles in rice really quickly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post
    I did read its the rice that is the risk, bacteria doubles in rice really quickly?
    Bacteria doubles quickly on ANYTHING including the surface of your skin given the right conditions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's really I guess what level of risk you find acceptable, I didn't eat sushi while pregnant but have gone off it now I'm not too, my friend got sick twice from the local place and it's really turned me off it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What everyone else has said, it is the rice that is the problem. And as much as you trust where you get it from, it only takes one bite to catch it from a bad batch and then you have to deal with serious consequences. So it comes down to how you would deal with that I guess and could you live with yourself if something did happen?

I'm not against everything in pregnancy like I was first time as I found I couldn't eat anything. I am just super careful and I still wouldn't get sushi or sandwiches with cold meat from a take away joint.

Try making sushi yourself. Dh has been making me tuna sushi a few times and it's so good

Quote Originally Posted by changethestars View Post
    I had no idea listeria was in soil and could be in veggies.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Me either!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelleylane View Post
    I also second making it yourself. I got a 'sushezi' for Christmas and BOY is it easy not that hand rolls are hard, but I find getting them even a little difficult sometimes.
    Woo! I took your advice and picked up a Sushezi off eBay and it arrived today... I've never made sushi myself before but I'm looking forward to giving it a crack! Can't wait to satisfy that craving, yummo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't know it was in dirt either! 0.o
    Think I'll be peeling my carrots for carrot sticks from now on...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Buy yourself a kambrook rice cooker (about $20 from kmart), a sushi mat and get making! I make fresh sushi every week and then eat it for 2 days. Its so much quicker in the rice cooker and the rice always comes out perfect! Then go to youtube and watch how to roll it. Its really simple. The susheez is good, but I find it makes the rolls way to fat.

I fill mine with
    * canned tuna mixed with egg free mayo (preggers safe!)
    * Avocado, cucumber and a japanese omlette
    * Sundried tomotoes and avocado
    * I cook fresh chicken breast and then chop it, mix with dijonaise or another preggers friendly dressing and avocado
    * Fresh beef steak, cut into fine strips, marinate in terriyaki dressing, then well cook.

If you make it and make sure that all the items are fresh and kept at the right storage temperature then I really wouldnt worry.