+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no, im a deadset sushi addict but no way would i touch any while pg even tho im desperate for it....i knew someone who worked in a sushi place and yes they said its the rice as well that can become contaiminated easily with bacteria...if u notice the rice often comes out out big containers usually so its often not as fresh as maybe the veg etc...also u dont know if the veg was cut on the same surface as sashimi etc.....not worth the risk IMO. i had dh bring me a huge plate as my first meal after i had bub.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

andi84  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Is food poisoning itself an issue? I thought food poisoning just ends up being gastro, and it's only listeria that is dangerous when pregnant.
    Sushi is a perfect place for listeria to hang out as it's prepared cold and not heated before eating and poor food handling/ cross contamination is massive issue in these places with all the raw fish and cooked meats used In different items

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Health inspector told me the greatest risk with sushi is the rice because it's the perfect breeding ground for bacteria...

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was no way in hell that I was going to not eat Sashimi during my pregnancy. I was living in Spain so I trusted the fish more than the meat at the supermarket that I would take home and cook myself. I also find it hilarious that French women are encouraged to eat soft cheese and pate during pregnancy, yet we are told to avoid this very good for you products

You do know that you can get listeria from a carrot that hasnt been properly washed dont you? Its in soil.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azurial For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (16-01-2012),Luna Lovegood  (16-01-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    But the consequences of listeria are serious, so it depends on your attitude to risk.
    This says it all for me

I ate chicken and cooked tuna sushi regularly through both pregnancies, it didn't occur to me to worry about the rice... Of course it makes sense now.

There are a few places I will NEVER eat sushi from, as they just look dodgy. But my trusty old sushi place is always SO fresh and they make it out in front of you, so I can check up on them...

I also second making it yourself. I got a 'sushezi' for Christmas and BOY is it easy not that hand rolls are hard, but I find getting them even a little difficult sometimes.

Farmerwife is offline Excited & Nervous about being a mum for the first time in August :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurial View Post

You do know that you can get listeria from a carrot that hasnt been properly washed dont you? Its in soil.
    Don't most people know this? As in this comes across to me as if you feel people are worried about listeria but generally have no idea it's in soil. I would actually think most people who know the risks of listeria also know it's in soil. That's why sprouts etc should be avoided & why it's best to wash ALL fruit & vege thoroughly for removal of chemicals & listeria.

OP I miss sushi!! I won't eat it as I don't have anywhere I trust but if you do then that should be fine. I'm definitely keen to make my own now after reading this thread :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had no idea listeria was in soil and could be in veggies.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerwife View Post
    Don't most people know this? As in this comes across to me as if you feel people are worried about listeria but generally have no idea it's in soil. I would actually think most people who know the risks of listeria also know it's in soil. That's why sprouts etc should be avoided & why it's best to wash ALL fruit & vege thoroughly for removal of chemicals & listeria.
    I might be super dumb in admitting this but I didn't know it was in dirt... I always wash my fruit and veg and did really well when I was pg with DS1&DS2 but nope I thought it was like a food poisoning from meats, rice, pasta, sauces etc. seriously!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't eat prepackaged sandwiches?? Whoops!!

Use your own judgement OP.

I didn't know listeria was in dirt. I always peel carrots and potatoes etc anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt eat even vego sushi, rice risk, plus vegies are prepared on same surfaces as raw fish. I know they should use different utensils etc but im sure there would be cross contamination somewhere.

Id kill for some sushi tho, love the stuff!!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub