+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Are vego sushi packs ok to eat whilst pregnant??

Hi all, do you think pre-made packs of sushi (vego - no fish/meat) from a sushi bar are ok to eat?

For lunch at work I always love to go to Cherry Blossom and grab a pack. They always look really busy so I imagine the turnover is pretty high... but I'm wondering if it falls into the same category as pre-made sandwiches or not.

What would you do... I'm missing sushi already!!! No fun!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't. The problem is that rice is actually the most dangerous food for carrying bugs. It's ok fresh, but you can never know how long ago the rice was cooked. That just my opinion, I am staying clear of it til bub is born, as much as I would love some sushi!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are better off making your own. Then you can put fresh cooked meat and vegies in it and know how old everything is. They taste way nicer, are cheaper and really quick to make.
    Last edited by ohana85; 15-01-2012 at 19:04. Reason: sp

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohana85 For This Useful Post:

changethestars  (15-01-2012),Farmerwife  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I ate vego sushi during both my pregnancies. As you say, if you feel it's fresh then use your own judgment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShazieB View Post
    I wouldn't. The problem is that rice is actually the most dangerous food for carrying bugs. It's ok fresh, but you can never know how long ago the rice was cooked. That just my opinion, I am staying clear of it til bub is born, as much as I would love some sushi!!!
    This.
    My sister got nasty food poisoning from veggie sushi. Have to presume it was the rice. I stayed clear of cold rice through pregnancy after that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lock and Lu View Post
    I ate vego sushi during both my pregnancies. As you say, if you feel it's fresh then use your own judgment.
    I will probably continue to eat vegetarian sushi. I work in the city, and the place I go has a big turn over. I eat it heaps and have never (to my knowledge) got sick from it, so what are the odds of getting listeria when pregnant, really.

But the consequences of listeria are serious, so it depends on your attitude to risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Use you're own judgment, if you think the place is busy and the turn over is good the go for it ...

I ate chicken and veggie sushi the whole way through my pregnancy, but I knew the place I got it from always had it fresh ..

*** end of transmission ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is food poisoning itself an issue? I thought food poisoning just ends up being gastro, and it's only listeria that is dangerous when pregnant.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a massive sushi fan but avoid it when pregnant as I'm more worried about what the place looks like where the food is prepared and stored(kitchen) and their food hygiene practices. In my experience in the hospitality industry I know lots of dodgy stuff goes on behind closed doors and sushi places r always in the media regarding poor food hygiene practices, etc on the news the other day it said 4 out of 5 Melbourne sushi venues that where tested where found to have unsafe levels of bacteria present.. Hope that doesn't freak out to many people but think it gives you something to think about

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate sushi both pregnancies and in hospital on bed rest and both times my OBs said it was fine.