+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 38 weeks, small baby :(

At my appointment yesterday I was measuring 35 on fundal height, I wasn't worried because I know that it can always be a bit off and especially at this stage. Anyway off I go to u/s for a double check this morning and bub really is tiny! Some of the measurements I saw were as low as est. 33 weeks gestation. My middy called and said they would like me to go in and have an internal and be monitored for a while to see how things are going, but mentioned that it could be likely that I could be induced . Not sure how to feel about everything. I'm worried about bub being born so small, about being induced My heads in a spin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    good luck!!!

i know this may not be the case with you... but my baby was always measuring small in my first pregnancy and my ob said it was going to be a small baby...

i was induced at 10 days post dates as baby was running out of fluid... i delivered a healthy 9 pound babe.... (not small in my books) but all the scans, even the ones i had 2 days before said baby was small....

just wanted to wish you all the best and ill have my fingers crossed for you that everything works out!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be concerned if I were you too, a the prospect of having a baby early where there is a potential issue with birth weight - surely the best environment for you baby is in your uterus?! I am not a medical professional and in fact am more than a little cynical about obstetric care during pregnancy, but there are so may reasons why you would want to seek some information to support keeping your baby inside you- including the very high risk of separation from your baby post birth if it is low birth rate when actually the best thing for it would probably be close contact and breastfeeding, both of which are generally interferred with in early and small babies. I will try to find some links for you to check out in the meantime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry - just read your post again and realize that you are actually 'full term' so even less reason to worry I reckon. Still think it's worth trying to keep Your baby inutero as long as possible though to give it an opportuntity to put on some more fat prior to the birth! Also, I had a friend recently who was advised by her OB to have a c/s due to potential high birth rate a- ended up taking the advice and having the c/s for a 7 pound baby! There are many stories like this around related to predicted weight so I would definitely tread carefully!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to worry, a one off growth scan has quite a lot of room for error. You have made it to term now and given your baby an excellent start. I had 2 teeny babys born at 37 weeks and were the size of an average 32 weeker, 1 was born super strong and healthy despite his small size and the other needed some assistance which was not related to his small size.
    As my Ob once explained to me, sometimes there comes a time when the baby is better off out than in.

Sarah- I have to disagree with leaving small babies in utero. While some babies are just smaller than the average, there are some situations that can be identified such as a growth restriction, the placenta starting to not function as it should to name a couple that would mean the baby will not fatten up any more on the inside and its safer to be on the outside. A low birth size does not automatically mean separation at birth either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally, and I speak from having been put through this twice, I would ask them if the placenta was still functioning, and if there was a good amount of amniotic fluid. If the placenta is functioning as it should (and they would have checked during the scan), and the amniotic fluid levels are good, then I would refuse being induced based on just having a (suspected) small baby.
    At 38 weeks with DD1 the midwives put me through the same. Fundal height hadn't grown, so sent me for monitoring and a scan, baby was measuring quite small and they were going to induce. She came in her own time, before they even spoke to me about inducing, and she was perfect, small (2.8kg, so not dangerously small), but perfect.
    Then with DD2, again, fundal height had shrunk, sent me for monitoring and scans. She was measuring small, but I asked if the placenta was functioning and if the amniotic fluids were fine, which both were fine, so they agreed to let me carry on my pregnancy as my baby was quite obviously not in danger. DD2 was born perfect 3.08kg so about average.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

mizz  (15-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wish my doctor had noticed my first son was measuring small no one noticed and he was stillborn at 39 weeks weighing only 4.9lbs. Please get checked out as much as possible and do what is best for your baby. I don't believe that a uterus is always the best place for bub. (well at that far along anyway) It certainly wasnt for my son. I'm sorry if my post scares you but if I can stop what happened to us from happening to just one other person then this 'scary' post is worth it. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was preg any with my dd my fundal heigh was measuring under at about 33 weeks. I had a scan that day and ob told me from the scan results it looks like baby is growth restricted. I was sent off somewhere else with a more qualified sonographer and she measured a bit bigger. Still small, but not scary small. The sonographer explained that sometimes the person performing the u/s at that gestation doesn't take into account the fat. They measure around the tummy at the ribs, but it's inaccurate.

I ended up having to have an induction at 36 weeks because bub did stop growing and I got pre eclampsia. She was 2.4kg (5lb 7oz) and they thought she'd have to go into the SCN. I did a lot of kangaroo care with her and in the end we avoided the nursery and she could stay with me the whole time.

I hope thing turn out ok for you and your bub.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

mizz  (15-01-2012)