+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Monthly grocery shopping...

Does/has anyone done a meal plan for the whole month, then only done one major grocery shop for the month, then only brought fresh produce weekly?

Did you save money?
    Was it challenging?

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscrbing; would love to know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I saved money but it wasn't too challenging because we have a fruit and vege just down the road
    It takes planning but I think it works

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just done a mock coles online order of all the stuff that lasts a month, and it's come to around $250, however I think in some areas I've overestimated and also that's not including special or deals that I would get in coles IRL. The I was thinking of just getting the fruit, vege and milk delivered which would be about $40...

It sounds pretty idyllic considering it means going to coles once a month...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have done it before and still do it on occasion. I find it does take a bit more planning but it is nice only having to do small shops for bread/milk/veg/fruit (especially useful when DH is overseas as my girls can be real nightmares in the supermarket).
    It does save money so long i stick to only topping up on fresh produce and not grabbing stuff i don't need just because - going to the fruit and veg shop vs a supermarket helps with that. It requires more thought - making sure you have enough of everything you will need - but if you do it right it's good.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ive never done it. the kids would try and eat everything in the first1-2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did it for a while when we were just on one wage and DS was so little and grocery shopping was really hard.

It's honestly not as hard as it sounds.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I do a fortnightly menu plan. The first few shops were hard, as I had to 'learn' to only buy what was on my list and how to estimate how long things would last. After that it was sooo much easier, and within a few months I'd managed to cut the bill by 150 a f/n.
    It cut down on the arguments between my stepdaughters as I could point to the calender and say "Yes we're having her favourite tonight, but we're having something only you really love on that night." I reassure dp the same way when he worries he'll waste away living on 'girl food' (you know, a balanced diet), without enough manly slabs of flesh. Everyone quickly started putting in requests, and the girls thought more about nutrition.
    It's also really useful for shift work as I can either plan a slow cooker meal or one that I can prep for dp and the girls. Or get them to cook meals I hate when I won't be there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just did a $450 shop for the month. It will last more than a month though. With me finding it difficult to shop (psd and pregnant), we decided to get things in one go. So we have stocked up on toiletries like shampoos, toilet paper, cleaning products etc which will all last about 3 months hopefully.

Our cupboards and fridge/freezer were also completely bare before the shop because we used everything before going on holidays so had to start from scratch with all the basics pretty much.

It won't be the only shop, I will have to re-stock the fresh food every week, but I am hoping to do that much cheaper by going to the markets now that I know we have everything we need from the supermarket for a while .

I did it by choosing about 10 meals, most with some ingredients in common. Then you make triple of everything (so for us, 12 serves per meal) which leaves you with a main meal per day for 30 days. We have bulk made some of the meals and put them into portions already so that we don't eat two nights worth of dinners in one night . Having the meals ready saves when you don't feel tempted to get takeaway because you know there is something to heat up. Most of the meals will be made fresh though, and I have just frozen the meat into meal groups to be defrosted.

I also bought heaps of wraps and bread for sale, dips for sale and frozen them all, as every few days you can defrost them and they are great for lunches with the weekly fresh veg shop.

I calculated how much milk we would need every few days and just bought how much would last a month and froze it. So for us, 2L every 4 days = froze 6 bottles, and one is in the fridge. We also have frozen veg for back up to add to meals if I don't get to buy any fresh stuff.

I do this when I know that money will be tight for the next month. It takes a lot of stress off my mind because I have paid the bills and we have food, and I fill the car up. So the worse that can happen is that we just do free things for fun or stay at home and I know we don't "need" anything so I relax a lot not worrying if we will run out. Money won't be tight for the next month, but I did it this month to get ahead and because I am finding it too hard to shop daily/weekly at the moment. If you have the room to store a months worth of food... I'd do it!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

proud-mum  (13-01-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    umm i think maybe i kinda do it without realising. we don't menu plan as such or intially shop once a month.

but I will do a huge shop every 6-8wks prop when I stock on flour, pasta, rice, lentils, tin tuna etc etc. Once every 6mths we goes halfs with friends in a cow, get it butcherd and pop it in freezer. I buy chicken mayb once every 3mths as well and freeze that.

Bread I bake once a month maybe and freeze?

Other preserves, sauces and stuff we tend to make annually and have on the shelves.

At the end of all that - I go shopping once a week to every 10days for some yoghurt, chesse, milk, tofu, whatever veg we aren't growing that I need.

Daily I will get the veg out the garden that are ready.

To be honest I don't know if it does save money, but it proably does, but like PP mentioned if I go to the shops to buy some vegies, milk I tend to buy zooper doopers or chocolate or some crisps etc.